[3830] ARRLDX CW KU2M SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW KU2M SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 16:05:51 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: KU2M
Operator(s): KU2M
Station: KU2M

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: Wayne, NJ
Operating Time (hrs): 28.7

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 1798   111
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total: 1798   111  Total Score = 598,734

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Mainly good condx over the weekend, with good activity out of EU on Saturday
morning, and a good run to JA on Saturday night, one of the best in years.
Things were a little disappointing in terms of mults, and my Q and Mult totals
were down compared to last year. On Saturday night, a heavier-than-expected
snowstorm knocked out our power, and for a while, I thought that was it for this
year's ARRL CW contest for me, since our local power company is virtually
useless except when it comes to collecting money. Miraculously, however, the
problem was fixed during the night, and when I woke up at 4:30 AM, the power was
back on, so game back on.

Unfortunately, condx were not as good on Dupeday (some people call it Sunday),
because the WX became milder, and as the snow melted, it created havoc in terms
of power line noise. At times, the noise level would suddenly skyrocket to S9+
levels, and stay there for 10 or 15 minutes before it came down to manageable
levels... and there was no way around it. It was especially bad out toward the
northwest, which severely impacted hearing the weak ones out of JA on Dupeday
evening. With the antennas pointed that way, the band sounded like
Frankenstein's Laboratory, and consequently, the last few hours of the contest
were a bit like torture. I thought of quitting early, but as Mr. Howard, my 10th
grade Geometry teacher used to tell us, facing difficulty is "what
separates the boys from the little boys," and having signed up for it, this
boy stuck with it!