[3830] ARRLDX CW N1LN SOSB/160 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bemeier@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N1LN SOSB/160 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 21:24:22 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:  145    60
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  145    60  Total Score = 26,100

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

My original plan was to enter in the SOSB 15 HP class. Well, fortunately I also
wanted to do some 160 meter station testing. Friday night after I was able to
work a whopping 4 Qs on 15, I moved to 160. The band was very quiet and
conditions into EU were pretty good. I didn’t expect the same level of
activity as the single band contests, but activity was high. At that time I was
still looking forward to 15 meters opening on Saturday morning so I shut down a
couple hours before EU sunrise to get some sleep and be ready.  Well, you know
what they say about great plans. I was on and off throughout the day Saturday
expecting to be pleasantly surprised with 15 finally opening but it was not to
be.  Having already missed Saturday EU sunrise, it was harder to get motivated
for a long Saturday night / Sunday morning. I finally got in the chair around
0200 UTC and spent another 3 hours split between run and SP. The noise level and
quick QSB was up and new stations to work were down, so once again I shut down
before EU sunrise. Using the Visible Dupe Sheet feature of N1MM+ made SP much
faster. It was nice to use, but if I had more Qs it would not have worked well.
Wish it didn't work well!

Even with the BIC (butt in chair) issue, 160 contesting is always fun.

As the propagation for the high bands will probably be the same or worse next
year, maybe I will put in a serious SOSB 160 effort in 2019.

Thanks for the Qs and the frequent repeat requests.

73,
Bruce N1LN