[3830] ARRLDX CW K8CN SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K8CN@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K8CN SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 17:58:58 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K8CN
Operator(s): K8CN
Station: K8CN

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:    1     1
   80:   27    22
   40:  117    44
   20:  213    60
   15:   41    28
   10:    7     5
-------------------
Total:  406   160  Total Score = 194,880

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Friday night had its customary slow start, which is consistent with my prior
experience as a QRP contester.  However, the pace was so slow this year that I
found myself drifting off to read the news, check email, and other
non-productive behaviors such as wondering why I bother with contesting at all!
That's a "first" that I don't want to repeat.

I did manage to stay awake through EU sunrise the first night, and that netted a
fair number of 80 meter mults, which amazes me because I have no 80 meter
antenna - all kudos to the DX ops who ferret out my weak signals.  I intended to
awaken for EU sunrise on Sunday, but slept through the alarm only to find good
conditions for QRP at 0700Z - no competition to drown me out at that hour, I
guess. Conditions to EU were much better on Sunday morning and I even managed an
extended run on 20 meters.

Many thanks to all the great, patient DX ops who took time to get my call and
exchange right.  The NH location and 8th area call still trips up a lot of
folks.  Perhaps I should build a remote station in OH to resolve the disparity?

This year's Q count is about 2/3 of last year's, and the mults are way down,
too. Total points this year less than half of last year's figure. Declining
propagation conditions inexorably reveal themselves.......I guess I shouldn't be
surprised - it's just that I've forgotten what conditions were like 11 years ago
when I first started QRP contesting near the bottom of the previous solar
cycle.

73,
Mike, K8CN
Durham NH