[3830] CQ160 SSB K1LT Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB K1LT Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 16:12:46 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps
Operating Time (hrs): 4.5

Total:  QSOs = 209  State/Prov = 50  Countries = 10  Total Score = 30,960

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Since I am chasing grid squares for the ARRL Grid Chase, I got on the
160 WW 160 SSB test in order to amass QSO points to multiply by all of
the grid squares that I have already worked on CW and FT8.  Also 160
SSB contest ops are a different lot than the CW guys, so maybe I'll
earn a few more grid squares.  On the other hand, I bet not as many
SSB ops upload logs to Logbook of the World.

Anyway, Friday night was truly weird because almost everyone couldn't
hear me except that the DX, what little there was, could hear me.  I
worked only about 2 dozen stations before getting bored.  But I worked
TM6M and a couple of Caribbean stations.

Saturday night was much more normal except that the DX was almost
impossible to hear, except for OK7C.  More pouncing brought the
contact total to about 80 QSOs.  At one point I worked a guy in
Missouri.  Then VP2MKG called him but the Missouri guy didn't answer.
So I told the Missouri guy there was DX calling him but he couldn't
hear the DX.  Then I asked him if I could borrow his frequency for a
moment and he said sure.  So I worked the VP2 and told him that the
Missouri guy couldn't hear him.  That was my selfish good deed for the
evening.  Everyone seemed pleased afterwards.

Eventually I stumbled on a big hole at 1940 kHz so I called CQ.  Since
the rate was reasonable, I hung around for an hour even though the run
petered out after about 40 minutes.  The run was good for about 100
QSOs.  YV1KK had a nice signal.

I didn't use the phased arrays because listening to myself delayed by
20 milliseconds induces permanent insanity.  Oops, too late.

DX worked: C6, EI, F, FG, KP2, KP4, OK, V3, VP2M, and YV.

Equipment: K3, P3, Alpha 8410, 65-foot "tee" vertical and a bunch of
2-wire Beverages.