[3830] ARRLDX SSB N0VD SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kjones@virtualcohesion.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N0VD SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 22:55:57 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N0VD
Operator(s): N0VD
Station: N0VD

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    7     7
   80:   24    21
   40:   83    44
   20:  133    71
   15:   56    27
   10:    3     3
-------------------
Total:  306   173  Total Score = 158,814

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Had been fighting off a cold bug for several days prior to the contest. Was just
planning to work a few friends but got sucked in a bit more on Saturday morning.

Made a few more Qs Saturday evening and got up Sunday morning hoping for some
Asia mults. By 10am Sunday morning the bug came down hard and I called it a day
(and contest).

Things learned: this was the first time I played on all bands in a contest since
spending the past year building the station at the new AZ QTH. The F12 C31 has a
very deep null 15-30 degrees from center on 20M. Couldn't figure out why I was
having such a difficult working EU pointing about 45 degrees. Learned the hard
way the vast majority of EU is 15-30 degrees from this location and not the
45ish that I've become so used to. Pointing the antenna at roughly 10-20 degrees
made all the difference.

Also learned that I need a fixed antenna towards SA. With both EU and SA mults
on the same band at the same time, I had to keep rotating the antenna back and
forth 90-115 degrees.

Wish I could have spent more time in this one, but happy to get in what time I
could.  Thanks to all the DX for being there.  Without you, this would be a
boring contest!

73
Kelly - N0VD