[3830] ARRLDX SSB WY3A SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bill.wy3a@gmx.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB WY3A SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 00:18:14 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: WY3A
Operator(s): WY3A
Station: WY3A

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: West Chester, PA
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   12    10
   80:   84    46
   40:  146    60
   20:  410    84
   15:  162    63
   10:   24    14
-------------------
Total:  838   277  Total Score = 696,378

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Stuff I learned as result of this contest:

I learned that it takes about 30 minutes to set up an old 4KW generator to
provide emergency power to the shack.  I have told neighbors that I can run my
station when the power is out.  But I never actually tried it before 4 AM the
first night of the contest.  I seriously did NOT want to miss the Saturday
morning EU opening completely, even though power had been out from before the
start of the contest.  Thanks to the motivation provided by contesting, I now
know exactly how to set up emergency HF communications at my station. The motto
of the Frankford Radio club, "Proficiency through Competition", has
proven true, yet again.

I learned that a 4KW generator will sucessfully run the kitchen refrigerator, my
FIOS network temination device, my FIOS modem, one desktop PC, one LCD monitor,
one rotator, two radios, and one Ameritron 811A amp (which strained to make 300
watts out with the reduced line voltage).

I learned that it takes every spare extention cord, UPS, and surge suppressing
power strip I own to pull this off.

I learned that its a bad idea to put away extention cables, UPS's, surge
suppressors and the generator as soon as the mains comes back on...because the
outage may resume 10 minutes later and continue another 8 hours.

L learned that contesting on emergency power is all about interruptions.  You
shut everything down to gas up the generator.  You keep the fireplace in the
living going to keep the family warm. You set up the camp stove for the XYL to
cook.

I learned that power outages last longer than they used to.  This outage began
one hour prior to the start of the contest.  Power wasn't restored for another
21 hours.  It used to take PECO 4-8 hours to fix outages from thunderstorms or
nor-easters.  Not any more.

I learned that remembering the struggle after the contest, puts a smile on your
face and gives you another story to tell.  You look back and laugh at your
desperate efforts to solve problems.  You look back with pleasure knowing you
persevered and made points for your club.  It strange but true; the hated
struggle in the heat of battle was half the fun.