[3830] ARRLDX SSB W4WWQ SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W4WWQ SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 05:33:12 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W4WWQ
Operator(s): W4WWQ
Station: W4WWQ

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: VA  FM07ii
Operating Time (hrs): 2.4

  160:   2      2
   80:  12     11
   40:  36     24
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  50     37  Total Score = 5,550

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

All S&P.  Propagation wasn't good when I was ON for my 100 watts.  Too easy
to be distracted.  No power interruptions and antennas stayed in the air, BUT my
3 element SteppIR  boom did a 45 degree twist so I wasn't horizontal or
vertical. And what ever angle it was didn't match any DX oriented antennas.
Also, the wide kept blowing (rotating) the beam clockwise to due South. The
calibration didn't change so it appears the Brake slipped.  Happened three times
over the weekend.  Now with nicer WX I have lowered the trapped dipole and find
the connecting wire at the balun had broken and the element just being looped
thru the eye bolt wasn't a good enough connection for power above 125 watts on
40.  So this simple operation now has turned into tree trimming project.  One
thing turns into another . . .