[3830] OkQP KK6MC/COUNTY Mobile Single OpCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, Jamesduffey@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] OkQP KK6MC/COUNTY Mobile Single OpCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 16:06:01 +0000
                    Oklahoma QSO Party

Call: KK6MC/COUNTY
Operator(s): KK6MC
Station: KK6MC

Class: Mobile Single OpCW LP
QTH: Mobile
Operating Time (hrs): 16

  160:
   80:
   40:  494     0       0
   20:  308     0       0
   15:
   10:
    6:
----------------------------
Total:  802     0       0  Mults = 55  Total Score = 134,232

Club: New Mexico Big River Contesters

Comments:

This is a good contest to work mobile, there is lots of activity and the
counties are small enough that you can get from one county line to another
quickly. I had a good time in my second OKQP. Both bands were good on Saturday,
but 20M pretty much shut down at 0000Z. Forty was open all day, even at noon
QSOes were possible with both coasts. Sunday was a different matter, 20M was
only open weakly at the beginning; partly due to the effects of starting the
contest an hour earlier than the previous day. But even at midday, contacts did
not come as quickly as they did Saturday. DX was minimal, but I did work OM on
both 20M and 40M. I like the mobile bonus points for making 5 QSOs on 40M or 80M
as it sets the strategy - start out at a new county line on 40M. I hit all of my
planned counties but one. I had planned to operate from TEX/CIM near the end of
the contest, but as I hit the Texas/Beaver county line there were only 45
minutes left in the contest, so I just operated from Texas county.

I tried out a new antenna for me. On 40 it was a Hustler resonator on a 7ft
mast, putting the tip of the whip at 12 ft 8 inches. On 20M, the Hustler
resonator was mounted perpendicular to the mast at the 7 ft level. The 40M
bandwidth is narrow enough that it is hard to work SSB, but as I was CW only,
that did not matter. On 20M, the lower part of the SSB band can be worked.

The score is down a bit from last year, but I think that reflects conditions and
everyone’s will be down a bit. There were lots more 40M contacts than 20M
contacts, which reflects conditions, and I hope, my improved 40M antenna.

See you in the NM QSO PARTY April 14.