[3830] Rus DX VE9AA SOSB/80 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Rus DX VE9AA SOSB/80 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2018 13:39:59 +0000
                    Russian DX Contest

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH: NB
Operating Time (hrs): 3:54

  160:
   80:  219     0        47        13
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
Total:  219     0        47        13  Total Score = 65,880

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Because I've had some recent antenna damage, the plan was to put in a decent
single band effort on 40 or 80m.

Family stuff into the supper hour precluded a 40m effort, so 80m it was.

Contest started slow on 80m 45mins before SS, but I was happy to pick up a few
of the louder stns in EU and a couple in the USA.

Once the sun went down I had my best hour @ 84....I suppose not too bad for this
contest, as it's Eurocentric and everyone is still working everyone on 80m over
there.

Very few Russians worked.  I just wasn't hearing them.  3B8XF was ~559 but the
pileup was deep.

A little after an hour of semi-darkness, the QRN started coming up and the
signals went down down down.  Scandanavians were in the noise and no Russians to
speak of.  Even the big guys were not workable, so I went and watched TV.

Came back around local midnight and the noise was still there, but signals were
up ever so slightly.  Worked a handful of Russians, Eu's and a few US, scanned
the band 4-5 times and not finding anyone I hadn't already worked, threw in the
towel !

Radio =IC-7410

Antennas for Radio 1 include, but not limited to:

80m - Wire 4-square of Inverted L\\\'s in the trees (Comtek)

N1MM+, CM-500 Mic, N3ZN paddle, SO2R+ box.

(small 550w amps used for some contests)

Thanks for the Q\\\'s

CU (all of a sudden) in the next one.

dit dit

Mike in NB, VE9AA