[3830] LaQP NO5W RoverCW-Dig LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] LaQP NO5W RoverCW-Dig LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 14:49:24 +0000
                    Louisiana QSO Party

Call: NO5W
Operator(s): NO5W K1DW
Station: NO5W

Class: RoverCW-Dig LP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:
   80:      6
   40:    423
   20:     78
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
Total:    507       0          0          61  Total Score = 125,158

Club: Jefferson ARC

Comments:

The score includes 100 points for working bonus station N5LCC.

K3/100, Hi-Q 4/80, CQ/X 1.8.1.0, 2002 Pathfinder

Probably the most striking thing about this year's LaQP were the poor conditions
especially on 20m. For example in 2015 with the same operators, same equipment,
and same route we had 808 Qs with 702 of those on 20m, 99 on 40m, and 7 on 15m.
This year the tables were turned between 20m and 40m with 40m being the money
band but not able to produce the Qs that 20m did in 2015.

Still we had fun and even Murphy thought the ride was good as he came along
during the first three parishes to produce the error message "a USB device
has failed". It turns out the USB device was the GPS being used by the
logging computer. As best we could determine the extremely rough roads we were
on had caused the GPS connection to vibrate loose enough that the OS marked it
as a failure. Fortunately a little tape applied to the connection fixed that
problem and Murphy pretty much disappeared for the rest of the day.

Here's how it went on a county basis where the first number is the total Qs in
the county, the second is the initial 10 minute rate in the county and the last
column is the first station logged in the county:

Orleans         39      42      K9CW
Jefferson       33      84      K5OT/2
St.Tammany      32      108     K2DSW
Assumption      28      102     K5OT/2
Plaquemines     27      6       W4IHI
St.James        27      96      N5DO
Iberville       27      84      N2CQ
EastFeliciana   26      78      K0AP
Terrebonne      25      72      N1SOH
St.Bernard      25      132     N5DO
St.Charles      25      96      N5DO
Iberia          23      84      K2DSW
St.Martin       22      72      W0ZQ
Ascension       21      120     W0ZQ
Lafourche       17      72      W0ZQ
St.Helena       16      66      N5DO
St.John         15      84      K0AP
PointeCoupee    15      78      K2DSW
WestFeliciana   14      54      K0AP
St.Mary         14      66      K2DSW
EastBatonRouge  13      60      K2DSW
WestBatonRouge  13      66      K0AP
Livingston      11      60      K0AP
Tangipahoa      10      54      N5DO
Washington      8       36      N5DO

First-caller honors go to Dave-N5DO followed closely by Dragan-K0AP.

Thanks to the following stations who worked us in many parishes contributing
more than half of our QSOs: K2DSW(28), K0AP(26), N5DO(25), KN4Y(23),
K5OT/2(22),
K4AMC(21), N2CQ(21), K0HNC(20), W0ZQ(18), WB9CIF(18), W0TG(15), N6MU(14),
NW0M(13

As is typical in these state QSO parties the morning was slow as seen by the low
QSO numbers in East Baton Rouge - Washington all of which were morning parishes.
The action picked up somewhat during the late afternoon when we were in Orleans,
Jefferson, and St. Tammany. Due to Dallas-K1DW, the driver, having a heavy foot
we actually finished up our route with two hours left in the party and no where
to go except to try 80m and then to succumb to the call of the beer and pizza
where the crew of Jim-W5TUF, Ted-KN5O, Dallas-K1DW, and myself were treated to
some DXpedition tales by David-W5XU who had just returned from Spratly.

Many thanks to Norm-W3DYA who came over from Texas to provide some needed mobile
activity in the north and central part of the state.

Also thanks to Dallas and Lynda for their hospitality putting me up Saturday
night and for the early Sunday morning breakfast and conversation.

Coming up April 7 we will be back on the road sharing the driving and operating
with Skip-W5GAI in the MS QP. We hope for better conditions and hope to put many
of the QSO party group in the log. The route has not been determined yet so if
you need some counties in MS send me an email and we might be able to work it
in.

73/Chuck/NO5W