[3830] WPX SSB W5MX M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bydal@roadrunner.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB W5MX M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 01:54:50 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: W5MX
Operator(s): W5MX K4OWR KJ4YLR K4FT
Station: W5MX

Class: M/S HP
QTH: ky
Operating Time (hrs): 39

------------
  160:   14
   80:  274
   40:  548
   20: 1068
   15:  178
   10:   69
------------

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

Great contest even though I am not an SSB fan. Bill K4OWR came up from TN as a
first time operator in the station. John K4FT and Clayton KJ4YLR (both locals)
operated as well. Clayton is still relatively new at contesting and it's great
to see him progressing. We have to get that new blood into our sport.

Conditions overall seemed so-so. Friday night was a lot of S&P looking for 6
pointers on the low bands. Ran a bit here and there. For the first night it was
just KJ4YLR and myself. We had both worked all day Friday so only lasted until
about 2:30 AM local time, just could not stay awake. Shut everything down,
turned off the generator and slept about 5 hours. Bill came up from TN around 11
AM local Saturday, was good to have fresh op. He did most of the operating for
the next 20 hours, with the rest of us sprinkled in here and there.

10m had a nice surprise opening on to SA on Saturday evening. We were able to
run around 50 SA with a lot of new prefix mults in there. 10 was also open to
the south on Sunday as well. Of course not a peep out of EU or Asia.

15m was great to SA and Caribbean both days, and an opening to SW Europe
Saturday afternoon as well. Nothing at all out of Northern EU or Asia. Ran some
USA/VE west coast stuff off and on all weekend.

20m was the money band with a lot of 3 pointers from Eu both days, with Saturday
better than Sunday from here. Very crowded as to be expected, difficult to find
a run frequency to say the least. Tremendous QRM made it hard to copy weaker
callers. When you did have a space between the QRM cycles, running was quite
good.

40m was also crowded as usual and the amount of stations that pack into the 7125
to 7200 space is incredible. Nearly impossible to find and hold a run frequency,
we did quite a bit of S&P. Had a nice last minute run of EU on Sunday
evening before the end of the contest.

80m seemed good to EU both nights as well. Quite a few 6 pointers in the log.
Tried to run but just couldn't get much going from anywhere. Usually 80m is hot
for closer in NA stuff from Kentucky, but was inconsistent to slow for us as the
Q count shows.

160m, didn't spend much time here at all. Worked a few EU at their sunrise
Saturday AM, some VE's and Caribbean for the extra points and that was about
it.

Had a good time, appreciate the guys operating at the station this weekend. I
believe the comradery and time together more important than the contest itself,
although a good score to go along with it is a great bonus! I still a lot of
work to do to finish the station, towers and antennas first.

73's all and thanks for the Q's
Bryan
W5MX