[3830] WPX SSB KU1CW(@K2PO) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bill@conwellpdx.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB KU1CW(@K2PO) M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 04:53:56 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KU1CW
Operator(s): KU1CW K7VIT K7NAA WS7L W7SLS K7CIE K2PO
Station: K2PO

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Oregon
Operating Time (hrs): 48

------------
  160:   17
   80:  663
   40: 1319
   20: 1355
   15:  141
   10:    2
------------

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

'Always fun to get together with an amiable group to play radio!  We
newly-welcomed Scott, W7SLS, to our ad-hoc crew that sometimes gathers for
multi-op contests.

Alex, KU1CW, had the best B-I-C endurance, and made just over half of the
contacts.  Most the rest of us were mistaken for Alex at one time or another,
and offered a greeting - sometimes in Russian.  Our inability to respond in kind
identified us as Alex imposters.

The bands were fair to poor.  For many long hours, 20m was the only worthwhile
band - leaving the second operator woefully underutilized.

80m seemed to have unending static crashes, which quickly grew tiresome. 40m had
a big QSO count (the first 1000+ Q 40m log at the station), but lacked the
hoped-for long European opening.  There were Europeans on 20m (i.e., 168 of the
179 Europeans in our log), but the band opened late, and without the
briefly-thunderous EU signals that we'd had in ARRL SSB.  15m yielded some South
Americans, but not a single European.  And not a single Asian!  (A sign of the
times: we made 4x more QSOs on 80m than on 15m.)  On 10m, we got lucky and
caught the Pacific NW opening: i.e., two Hawaiians.  When all-else failed, we
turned to 160m, and were glad to make a few contacts there (vs. none last
year).

Thanks to all!

73 from Oregon, de

Alex, KU1CW