[3830] GaQP NJ8J Single OpMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nj8j@benshome.net
Subject: [3830] GaQP NJ8J Single OpMixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 01:08:33 +0000
                    Georgia QSO Party

Call: NJ8J
Operator(s): NJ8J
Station: NJ8J

Class: Single OpMixed LP
QTH: COBB
Operating Time (hrs): 12:57

  160:
   80:     66        3
   40:    128      204
   20:     23        6
   15:
   10:
    6:
------------------------
Total:    217      213  CW-Dig Mults = 39  Ph Mults = 39  Total Score = 50,466

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment:
Alinco DX-77T
LDG AT-11MP Automatic Antenna tuner

Antennas:
110 foot OCF doublet fed with ladder-line

Logger: N1MM+

The end-fed Zepp is dead, long live the ladder-line-fed OCF doublet!

When we last left our story, a falling tree had broken off the longer wire on
the OCF doublet right at the feed point, turning it into a 30' end-fed Zepp.
This week, I got to restoring the OCF doublet in all of its glory.  It took
hacking a path through the forest I refer to as my back yard, but it got done.
Admittedly, it's still a Bedsprings Brigade Manor-level antenna, but it's a
*much better* BBM-level antenna than a 30' end-fed Zepp.  This weekend the newly
resurrected antenna got its baptism (there's probably a theological error there
somewhere, but for an antenna I'm not going to worry about it).

I knew at half-time (after Saturday's session) that this was going to be a GQP I
was going to be happy with.  At half-time, I had already more than doubled my
previous high score for GQP.  Sunday wasn't near as productive, but by the end I
had still tripled said previous high score.

Playing with the RBN before the contest started pretty much showed that 15 and
up weren't going to be useful (calling CQ a few times and seeing *no* beacons
pick it up sure tells you something), so I started out on 20.  20 didn't seem to
be working much either, so I moved on down to 40.  Pretty much spent my time
bouncing around on 40, with the occasional move to 80 or 20, where CW was
working better than phone.  40 phone was a different story.  Just before 0000Z,
I managed to plop myself down on 7220, and had an 118 QSO run over about an hour
and a quarter (that's a tad under 95 Qs/hour, which is unusual for me).

Also unusual for me, most of the above is running, not S&Ping.  That's one
thing I like about GQP - I can actually run effectively.

Next project: finish getting the Winkeyer assembled.  I still use a straight
key, and running on a straight key gets to the arm at my age (made me glad I
decided to do mixed, as my arm got a rest when running pho9ne).