[3830] MiQP N8Q(N8XX) Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8xx@arrl.org
Subject: [3830] MiQP N8Q(N8XX) Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2018 23:04:07 +0000
                    Michigan QSO Party

Call: N8Q
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: KENT COUNTY
Operating Time (hrs): 5

   80:   58     8
   40:   29     1
   20:    0     0
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
--------------------
Total:   87     9  CW Mults = 46  Ph Mults = 9  Total Score = 9,075

Club: Grand Rapids ARA

Comments:

Set up at Fred Meijer White Pine Trail Linear State Park to combine MIQP with
QRP To The Field, the Michigan State Parks On the Air, and the World Wide Flora
and Fauna Parks on the Air activities.  It was a very nice spring day, with
temperatures reaching above 16 Degrees C, with sunshine and low breeze.

Olde Sol and sunspots weren't kind to my QRP effort and a marginal, portable
antenna. Only one Michigan stations were heard, W8MSC on SSB, of all things.
And, W8MSC was the only station on either mode from Michigan who was able to
hear me.

After 2.5 hours with only 20 Q's in the bag, I called the portable effort good
for the day.  Went home, set the station up, attached it to my usual
"laughable antenna"  (laughable to most "real" contest ops
which have observed it), and made a few more Q's.  It was tough going. Took
frequent breaks, because my "bionic" hips which I acquired last year
will make themselves known if I sit in one position for more than an hour or
so.

80 was what turned out to be the "mother lode" band, if <2 Q's per
minute can be judged "reasonable" for a contest effort.

Toward the end, between about 0230Z and 0400Z conditions got better.  Even made
a few SSB contacts to bolster the Multiplier count!

The one problem I had was that I resorted to paper logging, because
procrastination has interfered with me getting a winkey setup and operat