[3830] 7QP AE7EU Cnty Exped M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 7QP AE7EU Cnty Exped M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 May 2018 01:38:27 +0000
                    7th Call Area QSO Party

Call: AE7EU
Operator(s): AE7EU KU7F W7JHR WN7K
Station: AE7EU

Class: Cnty Exped M/S HP
QTH: OR LAK/KLA
Operating Time (hrs): 12.5

  160:
   80:           1
   40:    2    101
   20:   24    121     20
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
----------------------------
Total:   26    223     20  Mults = 47  Total Score = 54,896

Club: CODXC

Comments:

The non-contesting team headed back out to the Lake-kalamath county line for
another year of enjoying the outdoors, away from civilization and the noise it
brings.  Setup went very well this year, the switch to 4lb test fishing line and
a bow and arrow made hole in one shots over the trees we wanted very easy.  This
year we used the same 80/40 dipole as years past, but because none of us had the
ability to haul an 11ft long bundle of TH3Jr and fence top rail, we built a 20m
rope moxon.  Initially it caused lots of RFI and was off-tune, but we got it
fixed up after moving it under the dipole and away from the shack a bit.
Performed nicely, 1.5 or less across the entire 20m band.  Primary rig was
K4XU's TS590SG on loan for evaluation (I won't be buying one), and an SB200.
Total operating time wasn't really 12.5 hours, that's just stop-start.  There
were a good number of hours where we just said "Eh, lets enjoy the
sun."

Everyone in the group got to have fun.  We all ate well, had some beers in the
evening, stuck true to our lazy contesting nature, and everyone got to do what
they wanted to do.  We even worked one contact on 80m just to say we did.

I (AE7EU) got to work a pileup for a little over an hour on 40m.
I (AE7EU) got to work a little CW.  I even called CQ a few times, a first for
me.
Brian (KU7F) got to operate in noise-free environment and have some fun finding
a hole to call CQ, and camp in the woods.
Jim (W7JHR) got to play around with digital modes on his KX3+KXPA100.  We gave
him the antennas for a couple hours while we sat in the camp chairs and BS'ed.
Sterling (WN7K) got to take a lot of naps, because you know how rough retirement
is.