[3830] NewEngQP NZ1U(W1UJ) SO Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1ujay@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] NewEngQP NZ1U(W1UJ) SO Mobile LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 09 May 2018 02:44:03 +0000
                    New England QSO Party

Call: NZ1U
Operator(s): W1UJ
Station: W1UJ

Class: SO Mobile LP
QTH: NEQP
Operating Time (hrs): 20

   80:    185
   40:    531
   20:     68
   15:
   10:
------------------------
Total:    784       0  Mults = 44  Total Score = 68,904

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

What a weekend! The LMR (Last-Minute-Rover) rides again! Although that may be
said every time that we do this, driving and riding more than 1300 miles through
one of the most amazing regions in the world... participating in an amazing race
home whilst gathering QSO's along the way.

N1WK did an incredible job safely getting us there, this passenger notes that
passenger brake pedal was not accessed during the trip.

Initial plans were to cover the southern counties of RI MA and CT on Saturday,
and heading to GRAVT on Sunday. When there was indication there was no coverage
for AROME, we decided to head that way.  The trek started early to the North
East to catch the first county as PENME with AROME next, so to drive from
Southern New England, get to AROME and back for the end we would be hustling....
That we did, and made it within 20 minutes from W1UJ for the end.

Sunday we had similar hustle, forfeit both GRAVT and SUFMA to make it home
before the end. We took some new, challenging roads that made the trip worth it
(for this passenger, anyway!)  The lookout on top of 'Mad River Glen' ski area
was amazing, for example.

Conditions seemed poor and we were begging for QSOs most of the time, it felt..
Coupled with some RFI issues on money bands slowed things below their potential,
but we learn things with each attempt- just don't remember them by 'the next
time'... sometimes...

Great meals including a 'New England-esque' seafood meal with 'steamahs' and a
Mrs UJ 'Dayton Grinder' that had to be consumed on a deserted highway when the
YL at the only gas station we found in many miles turned the lock while mouthing
'CLOSED' to WK as he approached the door. We were able to fuel up, thankfully.

Vehicle stats;
Day 1/Sat 814 miles 10:30a - 1:10a
Day 2/Sun 506 miles 8:12a - 20:03p

Fill-ups
1- 27.449 mpg
2- 26.715
3- 24.941 sun
4- 26.929

The 'Blue Ox' (2017 Chevy Equinox SUV) Did ok, as WK and I discussed, it is not
the 'Contest Caddy' but the Ox has on-board internet and a few other modern
amenities that help with long trips.

Used an Elecraft Kx3 on the dashboard with the matching Elecraft KPA 100watt
amplifier under the passenger seat and a deep-cycle battery charging through a
PowerGate fed by the Ox charging system.

Antenna- 40m Hustler HP resonator on the roof via a magnetic mount and a
High-Sierra motorized screwdriver type antenna mounted in the 2" receiver
hitch.

N1MM Logger+, Google Maps, and APRS.fi and cell phone was spitting the APRS
beacons with APRSDroid.  We tried, and used F-key KY keying commands through the
CAT control- it worked well enough for all of these QSOs, oddities included; ESC
does not work, an F-key was setup as the stop TX, or hitting the paddle stopped
TX too, and no type-ahead, it would only send what was typed in at the time you
hit send exch... that stunk.  Everything else was ok, nerves were tweaked when
the Ox's on-board broadband wifi connections were severed, but here we are to
talk about it, survivors!

ADDVT, 27
AROME, 17
BENVT, 24
CHIVT, 7
CUMME, 26
ESSMA, 18
FRAMA, 17
GRANH, 8
HANME, 56
HILNH, 7
HMDMA, 24
HMPMA, 23
KNOME, 12
LINME, 18
MERNH, 21
MIDMA, 31
ORAVT, 15
PENME, 29
ROCNH, 28
RUTVT, 35
SAGME, 9
SULNH, 11
WALME, 21
WASME, 56
WASVT, 24
WNDVT, 18
WNHVT, 16
WORMA, 163
YORME, 23
Total, 784

Thanks to all of those who followed us around, that is why we do this for sure.

https://youtu.be/Fx7wG9CGuPc

Team NZ1U