[3830] WPX CW K1LT SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW K1LT SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 16:06:12 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps
Operating Time (hrs): 20

------------
  160:    0
   80:   21
   40:  201
   20: 1011
   15:  139
   10:   13
------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I got on this edition of the CQ WW WPX CW contest to add points to the
ARRL Grid Chase event.  The last time I made more than a 1000 QSOs in
this contest was in 2011.  I accomplished my goal to move up the
Grid Chase listing by a few notches.

Several people have commented that the conditions were particularly
good, especially on 20 meters at night.  For the past couple of weeks
I have been chasing Asia and Oceania grids on FT8 in the evening from
about 0100Z to 0400Z.  It seems to me that these nighttime conditions
have been present on 20 for a while now although it is hard to compare
the quality of propagation between CW and FT8.  Some nights have been
better to Asia while other nights have been better to Oceania.

Some unexpected DX goodies: VU, EX, 4S7, 4K.

Worked only 1 VK and just a couple of ZL.  Was propagation to Oceania
diminished?

I worked a very, very weak OK1LL at 2214Z on 15 meters, followed by
4Z4DX.  I assume this was sporadic E.  A few minutes later, 9A1A was
booming.

You can probably tell by my comments above that I don't do a lot of
summertime DXing.

I had to stop a few times Saturday night to wait for thunderstorms to
pass.  40 and 80 were extremely noisy so I didn't go low very often
and I didn't go to 160 at all.  I made a few short E-skip QSOs on 10
meters.

Having 2 tribanders was very handy because I could easily hear US
callers while beaming Europe using the second tribander and the second
RX in the K3.

DX worked: 4K, 4L, 4S7, 4U1, 4X, 6Y, 8P5, 9A, 9H, CE, CN, CO, CT, CT3,
CX, DL, E7, EA, EA8, EI, ER, ES, EU, EX, F, FM, G, GD, GI, GM, GM, GW,
HA, HB9, HC, HK, HR, HZ, I, J3, JA, JT, K, KH6, KL7, KP4, KV4, LA, LU,
LX, LY, LZ, OE, OH, OH0, OK, OM, ON, OZ, P3, P4, PA, PJ2, PY, PZ, S5,
SM, SP, SV, TA, TF, TI, UA, UA9, UN, UR, V3, VE, VK, VP5, VU, XE, YL,
YO, YU, YV, ZA, ZF, ZL for a total of 89 entities including K and VE
and non-enitity D1.

Equipment: Elecraft K3/100; Alpha 8410; Cushcraft X7 at 60 feet;
Cushcraft X7 at 100 feet; full sized verticals on 40 and 80.