[3830] WPX CW WI6NE(N7MH) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW WI6NE(N7MH) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 00:52:48 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: WI6NE
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Stanford
Operating Time (hrs): 34:34
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:  380
   20: 1535
   15:  552
   10:    5
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks to Jeff/WK6I for the use of the callsign. Having a less common prefix
seemed to help marginally but not being in SCP resulted in many requests for
confirmation of the callsign when it had already been received correctly.

Some keying issues often resulted in endless repeat CQing with no break or sent
some random text instead of the intended message. Apologies to those who
experienced this at the other end. I intend to resolve this before the next
contest.

As with my other recent single-op efforts in WPX contests I missed most of the
JA/Asia hours on 40 when the highest point-rates are to be had from western NA.
KW7Y (K7RL) reported a higher score with slightly fewer Qs and mults and it
seems likely that NF6A (K6XX) may also outscore me in a similar way. If I want
to seriously compete I need to sleep at the W6YX shack and bring food for all my
meals. Fear of dozing off while driving the 15 minutes to my house later than 3
AM is preventing better scores.

I took a couple hours of off-time on Saturday mid-day when my back started
aching. Absorption had dampened signals so the rate had also dropped. I went for
a swim to loosen things up and when I got back to the shack switched to a simple
upright wooden chair. I have a habit of leaning on reclining chair backs,
putting tension on my back so I have to remember to avoid that chair in the
future.

I never made it to 80 or 160. The best time for working 6-pointers on 80 was
when I was sleeping both early mornings so it didn't make sense to leave 20
which was open to both EU and Asia while I was on. I tried 10 briefly and it was
open to parts of the US (TN and PA) and South America, but as usual few were
there.

The continental breakdown is below. I didn't work much Asia on 15 because our
best 15 and 20 meter antennas are on the same mast and I was having more success
working EU on 20 so I was beaming EU. The few times I rotated and tried working
into Asia I had few callers and also greatly reduced the one-pointers calling
from the US. If our C31XR wasn't stuck pointing east I would have used it on 20
to EU so the 15/20 stack could beam JA.

          160M    80M    40M    20M    15M    10M   Total      %
    NA       0      0    234    672    456      4    1366    55.3
    OC       0      0     21     27     11      0      59     2.4
    EU       0      0      7    563     27      0     597    24.2
    AS       0      0    109    252     29      0     390    15.8
    SA       0      0      7     12     26      1      46     1.9
    AF       0      0      2      7      3      0      12     0.5

Thanks for all the Qs.

73,
-Mike, N7MH