[3830] WPX CW AE0EE SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ae0ee@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW AE0EE SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 14:05:21 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: AE0EE
Operator(s): AE0EE
Station: AE0EE

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs): 32

------------
  160:    2
   80:   21
   40:  176
   20:  321
   15:   86
   10:    9
------------

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

100 W, dipoles (160/80 tuning on 10; 40/15; 20) up 5-10 m.  Keyed on iambic
paddles or a Vibroplex bug (sometimes acting as a sideswiper).

Wow!  Conditions were great considering where we are in the solar cycle!

I started out on 15 m after a short weather delay, mostly running but taking
advantage of the sub-receiver to search and pounce.  I'm no SO2R op, but it was
an interesting experience trying to both run and spot
simultaneously---especially without using computer keying!

When 15 closed, I moved straight to 40 m to pick up the high-point-value EU
contacts on the low bands.  Lots of stations were on and workable, and I picked
up 4U1ITU for an ATNO.

After a brief nap, I got back on 40 m to work west before and during my sunrise,
and that was also quite fruitful.  I was hoping the ZL80 was really on Kermadec,
but knowing it was unlikely (they were not on Kermadec).

Much of the contest took place on 20 m for me, but there were openings up on 15
and 10 m that I was able to take advantage of.  It was great to hear a few
stations on 10, and to even work a PY!  I hadn't had time to repair and set up
my 10 m dipole, so I was simply tuning up the 80/160 m fan dipole, which worked
well enough.

I was floored Saturday evening local when a 9H6 (ATNO) called me as I was
running on 20 m.  With my dipole I don't know what path was taken, but given the
time (0130z) it wouldn't surprise me if it were long-path.

On Sunday local I wasn't nearly as able to find/hold a run frequency, but kept
grinding out search-and-pounce contacts mostly on 20 m, checking back in on 15 m
and 10 m periodically.

While the overall rate wasn't the best, I think this was the most contacts I've
made in a contest.  I'm certainly pleased with how well I did considering that
I'm using 100 W and wires (no tri-bander here!).  Conditions were very good, and
it really makes a difference!  One surprise was that there was less activity
from 14.080 up to 14.150 MHz than I was expecting.  Often when stations on 20
are wall-to-wall and it's about the only band open, there are more stations up
high in the band.

Thanks for all the QSOs and good DX!