[3830] ARRL June VHF K8GU Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ethan@k8gu.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K8GU Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 10:38:27 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  28     17  Total Score = 561

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Sunday afternoon social event (at our house) meant very early/late operating on
Sunday, missing what I hear and see were great Es conditions on 6.  Did not call
CQ, goofed off and ran the bands with a couple of locals who were going at it
seriously.  Best DX on 6 was VP9I. Best on 2 was K8TQK (303 mi). Best on 432 was
K2LIM (202 mi), probably the highlight of the contest for me.

Station configuration (all antennas fed with 1/2-inch Heliax or LMR600):

6: Elecraft K3/100 + KPA500 amp (500w) + 2-el homebrew Yagi at 27 feet.
2: Elecraft K3/100 + K144XV transverter + Mirage B3016 (~100w) + stacked M2
9M2SSB at 35 over 24 feet.
432: Elecraft K3/100 + Microwave Modules MM432 + Mirage D1010 (~50w) + Directive
Systems DSFO432-15RS at 31 feet.

Used a SDRPlay RSP-1a with a Raspberry Pi running SDRPlay's OS image and
CubicSDR v0.2.2 as a crude panadapter.  It's not as integrated as Elecraft's P3,
but it worked pretty well for $200 total investment, including the monitor and
micro (TV-remote size) Bluetooth keyboard.

By mentioning it here, I'll ensure that it never gets done, but I have parts and
a plan to completely rebuild the VHF mast higher and with much more gain on 6,
also a 222 antenna (which I have, along with an amplifier).

Thanks for the QSOs and moves!

73,

--Ethan, K8GU.