[3830] ARRL June VHF K1TO Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1to@aol.com, fcg@lists.kkn.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K1TO Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 15:12:35 +0000
                    ARRL June VHF Contest

Call: K1TO
Operator(s): K1TO
Station: K1TO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: EL87
Operating Time (hrs): 26.5

    6: 1331   179
    2:
  222:
  432:
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total: 1331   179  Total Score = 238,249

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

No single-band categories, and the 3-band is only for LP, so I am lumped into
All Band.

We were very fortunate to have lengthy Es.  Our location allows Es from metro
markets from Boston through Chicago all the way around to Houston.  TX was
noticeably absent except for a few short openings, and CA was not heard, but the
high volume areas were accessible much of the time.

There were a number of things that were nearly ideal.  First and foremost was
the huge reduction in power line noise thanks to the power co. fixing several
sources.  There were no storms that came close enough to force a shutdown.
Openings to EU were limited, thus preventing the distraction of working juicy DX
over the volume of Es QSOs.  I am a contester first and a DXer second.

FT8 was a mixed bag as I'm sure many others will comment on.  My only comment is
that this was a huge upgrade over using JT65 last year.  I had a few dozen Qs on
JT65 in quite a few hours of effort last year.  This year, it was over 140 FT8
plus two MSK144 Qs on digital in less time.

A number of folks have broken 1000 QSOs on 6M from down here in this event and
that was one of the reasons I got on 6M in the first place.  I think TX and the
Midwest still have the larger potential QSO volume as CA is also within one-hop
distance for them, not to mention the higher grid accessibility, but it appeared
that this wasn't their weekend.

Have many station improvements to make.  Won't go into details, but this was a
pretty cobbled-together set-up for this one.

One disturbing occurrence was the use of 50.125 to run stations.  I asked one
1-lander to move as he was splattering me on .128, but he defiantly stayed
there, returning repeatedly.  From the ARRL contest rules for 50 MHz and up:

1.12. Participants are reminded that the segment 50.100-50.125 MHz should be
used for intercontinental QSOs only, using 50.125 MHz as a calling frequency,
then QSY after contact is established.

Back to enjoying what has already been a terrific Es season.  Tac san, JA7QVI
has a wonderful description of it - the "summer festival".

Thanks for each and every QSO.  A few mentioned that this was their first-ever
6M QSO which is neat.  Also have to give a shout-out to the terrific rover pool
-- those folks covered a lot of ground and provided many QSOs.

vy 73, Dan K1TO EL87 near Sarasota FL