[3830] ARRL June VHF VA3ELE Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va3ele@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF VA3ELE Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 02:17:54 +0000

  3.4:    5     4
  5.7:    2     2
  10G:    6     4
  24G:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  285   141  Total Score = 73,320

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

I'm not one for writing much in the soapbox, but, here goes.

Great contest, I was to take it easy, but, everything...well almost everything,
worked so good, I couldn't step away. I was really thrilled to hear so much SSB
activity on 6m, it made me smile. In the up coming weeks, I just kept hoping
that 6m would be dead so I don't have to listen to this FT8 stuff( dont't get me
wrong, I don't mind it, but, when its all you hear on a band, it kinda gets to
you)

Issues, besides the typical sporadic noise I have here in the city, like s7 to
s9+ on 6m and at times 222 would see s5 noise just pop up out of nowhere then
after a little while disappear again, I also had ailing RX on 432. I'm still not
100% sure on what happened, but, I used the same preamp I used all winter on EME
( 44dB gain/0.45dB NF) and it was just aweful. I had such a hard time with it,
it seems to either have oscillation issues or it was just being saturated by the
nearby com towers. The 432 score definatelly suffered because of this.
Frustrated to the max, I went up the tower on Sunday afternoon and took the
preamp out of line and I could hear decenly again, but, with 100+ ft of LMR240
and some RG8X on the RX line, it wasn't what it should have been.

The good stuff, since the rebuild of the tower, I have stepped down from running
4x55el on 1296 and 4x55el on 2304 and only used single loopers for 902~3456,
this setup allowed me to get all loopers up above the trees and seemed to work
better than the extra 6dB gain I had on the two bands.

Special thanks to everyone that I was able to work and especially the rovers for
their hard work, VE3CRU/R VE3OIL/R, VE3SMA/R, VE3WJ/R, K2ET/R, K2EZ/R, K2QO/R,
K2LDT/R, KF2MR/R and AG4V/R. You guys and gals, definitely make the the contest
exciting as you move from grid to grid and provide is with much needed QSOs and
multipliers and also some new grids on the upper bands. VE3OIL/R & KF2MR/R
provided 2 new grids on 3.4 & 10Ghz, VE3SMA/R gave me the one and only 24GHz
QSO, and last, but, not least, the last 3 QSO's were really great too, as they
are all new grids here from W3CCX in FN21 on 902, 1296 and 2304. Thanks guys!

See you in the ARRL UHF Contest :-)

73 de Peter
VA3ELE FN03dm