[3830] ARRL June VHF WB1GQR(W1SJ) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1sj@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF WB1GQR(W1SJ) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 04:20:17 +0000
                    ARRL June VHF Contest

Call: WB1GQR
Operator(s): W1SJ
Station: WB1GQR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 32

    6:  503   107
    2:  117    24
  222:   40    13
  432:   49    13
  903:    9     7
  1.2:   12     7
  2.3:    5     5
  3.4:    3     3
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  738   179  Total Score = 159,847

Club: Radio Amateurs of Northern Vermont

Comments:

Big openings on 6 meters always makes this contest fun.

This outing was a load of fun: Picture perfect weather - 75 degrees, sunny,
clear, little wind for all 3 days I was there - very, very rare conditions for a
3800 foot mountaintop.

Contest started with a few hours of sanity as I worked out the locals on all the
bands. Then 6 meters opened up, and it quickly turned into the Florida QSO
Party!

Sunday morning was again quiet, as I chased rovers and grids. In the afternoon,
FL returned and eventually, most of the country chimed in with hops out to TX,
NM, WY and ID.

It is interesting how the different modes now play out. Years ago, one would be
hard pressed to find 6M CW activity. This year, 30% of the QSO's were on CW with
rates surpassing 60 at times. FT8 was more a bit player, filling in for the
times when the phone rates dropped very low. As mentioned elsewhere, the digital
contacts took minutes where phone contacts took seconds. Also, FT8 did not
produce rare new grids - all of the mults were already worked on phone and CW.
Still, the mode helped out when the band otherwise became very quiet.

Unfortunately, the QSO's and grids went down the dumper on all the other bands
as everyone who was not a multiop parked on 6 meters. But this is what makes the
June contest interesting!