[3830] TBDC K1LT Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC K1LT Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 16:37:15 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Summer

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps
Operating Time (hrs): 6

Total:  QSOs = 122  Total Score = 429

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Before the contest I put an email on the Mad River Radio Club email
reflector to promote interest in the Summer Stew.  I suggested that
often noise levels are much lower before sunset but one can
nonetheless work nearby stations and stations to the east.  That
assessment was completely wrong this time.  Nearby thunderstorms
produced static so strong that it was tripping the "auto-mute"
function of the software beam-steering part of my receiving system.
For the first couple of hours, each contact was at 22 WPM with every
word doubled, since the static would completely mask a letter.
Despite these conditions, the initial rate was very reasonable.

After sunset, the local thunderstorm static generators went away and
the typical more continuous crash of long distance static took its
place.  But the continuous kind of static masks weak stations but
permits full speed QSOs with strong stations.

Up until 0400Z I only worked stations in the EL, EM, EN, FM and FN
grids except for NP2J and KV4FZ in FK.  The lone exception was K7QA in
DM.  I heard TM6M but couldn't get more than a '?'.  Then seconds
later TM6M called NA8V and worked him easily.  My ego will be restored
if Greg was running high power.

After 0400Z longer distances became possible.  TM6M finally visited my
log just after his sunrise for my best DX.  K7CW was the first CN grid
and NA7TB was easy copy in DM.  Logged about 104 QSOs, which is higher
than typical.

After an 0600Z to 0900Z nap break, static levels substantially
decreased.  I worked several western stations in the DM and CN grids.
The morning rush was decent this year adding about 16 more QSOs, many
of which were 7 point (or 10 point including the power multiplier)
QSOs.

Here is the year by year propagation and participation analysis:

            raw     raw    points
    year    QSOs   score  per QSO   power   weather
    2011     86     223     2.59     high  noisy west
    2012     81     224     2.77     low     noisy
    2013     72     141     1.95     low   noisy west
    2014     77     142     1.84     low   not noted
    2015     64     136     2.13     low     noisy
    2016    119     241     2.03     low     quiet
    2017     86     169     1.97     low     noisy
    2018    122     286     2.38     low   noisy then not

So far I don't see a relationship between static and the average
points-per-QSO.  The higher than average points per QSO seem to
represent when European contacts are possible.

Equipment: K3, P3, 2x4 phased array of short lossy verticals and SDR
receiving system and a second 2x3 array of the same.  Computer
controlled audio routing apparatus to feed each SDR output to a
distinct ear.  Transmitted on a 65 foot "Tee" antenna with somewhat
less than 75 radials 125 feet long fed through 800 feet of 3/4 inch
cable-TV hardline lying on the ground.