[3830] ARRL FD W6KC 1E LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w6kc@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD W6KC 1E LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 02:51:43 +0000

  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was my first 1E classification Field Day operation.  For the past 25 plus
years I have been operating 2A & 3A from a campground north of Los Angeles
in the Los Padres National Forest in the SJV section. This year we didn't quite
have the headcount for our normal camping style FD so I decided to just hook up
my deep cycle marine battery(s) to my home station and give 1E LAX a try.  I
missed the comradery of our shared efforts and chatting time around the
campfire, but appreciated the minimal setup and conveniences of home...e.g. I
was able to take a Jacuzzi break Saturday night and stay fresh for the
challenging band conditions. When I went QRT on Saturday night, I had logged 400
QSOs.  I was hoping to make 500 QSOs, but even with some help from 10 & 15
meters, I could not get much going on Sunday.

All of my home QTH antennas are at about 30ft above ground.  At the campground,
which is at 8,000 ft. elevation and has lots of tall pine trees, we are able to
launch our wire antennas to about 60ft.  I have reconfirmed that the lack of QRN
at the campground and having the wires high in the trees makes a big difference
vs. my home QTH setup.

73,  Jim W6KC

K3s, Mosley TA33Jr, 40M Inverted V, 80M Dipole all at 30ft