[3830] IARU VY1AAA(VE3KI) SOABCW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3ki@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] IARU VY1AAA(VE3KI) SOABCW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 14:03:17 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: VY1AAA
Operator(s): VE3KI
Station: VY1JA

Class: SOABCW HP
QTH: YT
Operating Time (hrs): 16:40
Remote Operation

  160:
   80:   51             6       3
   40:  104            11       4
   20:  535            23      34
   15:   12             5       5
   10:
-------------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

I had been planning to operate my own station to look for WRTC contacts, but a
change of plan during the last half hour before the contest led to my operating
VY1AAA remotely instead. The contest start coincided more or less with sunrise
in Whitehorse, so I started on 20m, which was open to Europe. The path to Europe
would be in sunlight for the entire contest, so I did not expect much if any low
band propagation to Europe, and that's how it turned out. I spent almost all day
on 20m, both running and S&P. I ended up working 48 of the WRTC stations,
all on 20m S&P. I made an excursion to 15m at around 1840Z. My first contact
on 15m was with 4X, then I added a few zone multipliers and HQ stations before
going back to 20m. 40m did not really open up until around 0200Z. I spent about
3-1/2 hours on 40m and did work one G and one EA8, otherwise 40m was all NA/SA
plus Hawaii. I went to 80m at 0540Z and was pleasantly surprised by propagation,
considering it was still half an hour before sunset in Whitehorse. I was called
by two LU stations while running on 80m, and probably could have done more on
the low bands, but I decided to call it a night at 0630Z. Thanks as always to
our host VY1JA for all his work on the station.