[3830] IARU K7RL SOAB(A)Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU K7RL SOAB(A)Mixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 23:10:44 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: K7RL
Operator(s): K7RL
Station: K7RL

Class: SOAB(A)Mixed HP
QTH: WWA
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:    22     1      6       1
   80:   193     8     13       6
   40:   473   253     33      30
   20:   592   447     40      36
   15:   177     8     17      15
   10:    13     0      4       0
-------------------------------------
Total:  1470   717    113      88  Total Score = 1,354,539

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Another fun IARU Championship with an added bonus of a WRTC championship at
stake. Managed to work some of the guys on 20m, which was surprising and cool
considering LP and modest stations. Also felt like participation levels were
higher as ops got on to work the competitors. Win-win for everyone.

15m turned out to be much better than expected, which wasn't difficult since I
had no expectations. A nice EU opening helped put some needed mults in the log.
One EU station mentioned not hearing any east coast stations, but mostly west
coast, so a little unusual perhaps. Propagation also seemed good to the east
coast. Even worked a few JAs, but no major runs. We've had years where the band
will open to JA in the middle of night and can last for hours. If signals on 20m
are strong to Asia, there's a decent chance 15m might be open. Did I check for
that opening? No. Had too much fun on 20m, 40m and 80m.

20m was open the entire time to EU, but not all runnable. Once the loud HQ
stations were worked, it was dicey getting to that next level of stations.
Perseverance and timing were rewarded with occasional runs here and there. JA
propagation didn't pick up until evening.

With such long daylight hours this time of year, I worried about 40m producing,
especially with a predicted solar disturbance forecasted to hit during the
contest. Fortunately, that didn't happen and I managed to beat last year's
numbers. Also surprised to have 9L1YXJ stop by to give me a Q, which was really
cool. He was so loud and clear I did a double take.

My goal this year was to average 100 Qs per hour, but fell a little short this
time. At least it's an improvement from last year :-)

Congratulations to N8OO on a monster score and K1XM, and N3QE for great scores
too. Big congratulations to all the competitors at WRTC. Many thanks to all for
Qs!

73, Mitch. K7RL