[3830] IARU W1NN SOABCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hal@japancorporateresearch.com
Subject: [3830] IARU W1NN SOABCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 12:24:39 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: SOABCW LP
QTH: Ohio
Operating Time (hrs): 22

  160:    55            5       1
   80:   201           14      13
   40:   371           22      28
   20:   359           18      36
   15:    67           10       5
   10:    22            6       1
-------------------------------------
Total:  1075    0      75      84  Total Score = 465,393

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

Lots of fun this year with the Y8 stations making the contest more interesting
than usual.

My score is a little better than last year with almost identical mults and
contacts despite poorer conditions on 15 and 20.  20 was a struggle most of
Saturday with the band finally improving around 2200Z.  I can usually have some
decent EU runs on 20 with my WRTC-like station, but this year I just couldn't
get many stations to answer my CQs on that band.

I managed to work 44 Y8 stations on 20 meters and 20 more on 40 meters.  On 20,
I worked my first eight Y8 stations between 1430Z and 1500Z and the rest after
1850Z, so there was a gap of nearly four hours where I didn't work any at all.
I never heard any on 15 or 80.  In all it looks like I worked 53 of the 63
stations.  I was not really attempting to work them all but rather just worked
whatever I could while S&Ping through the bands.  Occasionally one of them
sounded a lot louder than the others but it is not possible to draw any
conclusions from this since the difference could be due to antenna orientation.
One thing you can conclude, though.  They were all very good ops and they always
picked out my call right away, in contrast to a lot of other EU stations who
sometimes need several repeats.  In addition to being good ops, I assume that
the Y8 stations were all in low-noise environments.  At the peak on 20 meters,
some of them were S7 or S8, so I conclude that the stations they used were very
well designed.

The station and computer worked well except for my SO2R setup.  I accidentally
sat on my Heil headphones the other day and now they are unusable.  So I had to
use another old set I had from years back.  For some reason, they wouldn't work
with my SO2R box so I couldn't use my second radio this time.  I should have
checked out the station well before the contest, but didn't get around to it.

Station:
Small tribander on a mast fixed on EU @ 35 feet
Dipoles at 50' for 160, 80, 40 and 20