[3830] IARU K3CCR(N3UM) SOAB(A)CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, benn3um@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] IARU K3CCR(N3UM) SOAB(A)CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 14:17:52 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: K3CCR
Operator(s): N3UM
Station: K3CCR

Class: SOAB(A)CW HP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 11

  160:
   80:   41             5      12
   40:  120            17      24
   20:  216            20      36
   15:   38             8      12
   10:
-------------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

K3CCR is the club station at the Collington continuing-care
retirement community at FM 18OW in MD, just east of DC. Only I
(N3UM) was available to operate in July 2018 IARU. I entered in
SOHP CW-Only Assisted.

I started 27 min. late; our 4-el. 20m. beam on the high tower
showed high SWR after power was applied. Tests showed the problem
was outdoors, probably cable or connectors, so for 20 m. I used
the 2-el. C3 on the rooftop tower.

Sigs on 20m. were too weak for good run rates, so for ~3 hr. I
clicked spots, getting 20 HQ mults, 13 zone mults, and 218 QSO points,
steady but slow. The Y8 WRTC stations were quite weak; I could
only work 7 of them in those first 3 hr.  But starting at 16Z on
20m. after lunch, Y8s were louder and rates were better for all.

In the 5 hrs. 16-21Z I got 26 HQ mults, 12 zone mults, and 665
QSO points. Some were EUs on 15m; surprise! For 2 hr. after
supper, 00-02Z, 40m. was great; 25 HQ mults, 19 zone mults, and
497 QSO points. In my last hr. before QRT I got 100 QSO points
and 20 mults on 80 m. 02-03Z the old-fashioned way, running and
tuning, because there were no 80m. skimmer spots from MD or VA.

I worked 56 of the Y8 stations on 20m. and 48 of them on 40 m.
Final results were good, best for K3CCR since our first IARU in
2014. We’ve learned it pays to focus on HQ mults and 5-point EUs.