[3830] CQWW VHF K3CCR(N3UM) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, benn3um@comcast.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF K3CCR(N3UM) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 01:22:20 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: K3CCR
Operator(s): N3UM
Station: K3CCR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 1.7

    6:  17     10
    2:   5      4
-------------------
Total:  22     14  Total Score = 378

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

K3CCR is the club station at the Collington continuing-care
retirement community at FM 18OW in MD, just east of DC. For the
July 2018 CQ WW VHF, I (N3UM) was the only available operator.

I was in SOHC mode [Single Op 2 Contest], also doing NAQP RTTY.
Both tests started at 18Z; I got on 2m. for the first half-hour
but heard very few signals, CQing or tuning. I got only 5 QSOs
in 4 grids, plus giving W3EKT a QSO on 6m. and finding no other
sigs there either.

So, I went to NAQP RTTY and got lots of QSOs till QRT at 03Z.
I had meant to try VHF again, but the contrast between high
RTTY activity and nearly no VHF activity kept me from doing so.

Sun. AM at 1340Z, 2 m. was empty but I could hear some 6m. sigs
on a low 40m. dipole on its 7th harmonic. Desperate for a better
antenna, I checked 6m. SWR of the loaded 2-el. 40m-part  of our
JK 20/40 Falcon on the 85 ft. hilltop tower. WOW, 2.3 to 1 SWR!
A tuner brought it down to 1-1.3 over the band, and I heard S9
Es and local sigs.

Starting 14Z I got 16 Qs on 6m, 11 of them on CW, including 9 Es
QSOs in 8 EM and EN grids, and  broke for lunch.

After lunch, heavy rain, P static, nearby T-storms, and only one
signal heard, W3IP CQing on 6m. I passed on coming back for the
last hour hoping for activity and no storms.

Tiny score, but great to learn that our Falcon works well on 6m,
because we’ve had no 6m. beam since we had the Falcon put up; just
too much load to put both beams on the tower. NO idea why the
Falconworks so well on 6m, or exactly what its gain is.  Sigs are
~1 S-unit louder off the back of the beam.  Ham spirit: TRY IT!!