[3830] IOTA VE9EX SO(A)24SSB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IOTA VE9EX SO(A)24SSB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 20:13:08 +0000
                    IOTA Contest

Call: VE9EX
Operator(s): VE9EX
Station: VE9EX

Class: SO(A)24SSB HP
QTH: Hanwell, NB, Canada
Operating Time (hrs): 10

   80:   0        0        7       4
   40:   0        0       12       9
   20:   0        0       29      17
   15:   0        0        0       0
   10:   0        0        0       0
Total:   0        0       48      30  Total Score = 16,920

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Propagation on 20 m just before 0600 UTC, three hours before my sunrise, allowed
QSOs with two different VK operators on OC islands.  These QSOs are my most
memorable part of this year's contest.  I am glad one of the VK operators did
not seem surprised by propagation and the operator patiently worked through
details of the QSO after I asked for repeats.  The 20 m propagation opening
between the east coasts of Australia and Canada shut off like a light.  It was
also a pleasure to operate with my usual call sign, VE9EX, instead of a special
event callsign.  Something I found peculiar this year with VE9EX was the number
of times that I was asked if I was on an island.  For years, I struggled to get
a QSO on 20 m with my neighbouring province of Nova Scotia, from my QTH in the
province of New Brunswick.  Last year I did it.  Of course this year, in this
contest, Nova Scotia on 20 m boomed in here.  I think that operator from an
island in Nova Scotia was also surprised a little by a QSO from VE9 and he also
asked if I was on an island, specifically Grand Manan, NA-014.  However, he
didn't actually think I was on Grand Manan and it seemed more like an invitation
to go to Grand Manan for a future RSGB IOTA contest, 73, Brent VE9EX.