[3830] NAQP CW K1LT Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K1LT Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2018 06:51:33 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps
Operating Time (hrs): 9:58
Radios: SO2R

  160:  101    28
   80:  193    40
   40:  153    45
   20:  320    51
   15:   29    15
   10:    4     4
-------------------
Total:  800   183  Total Score = 146,400

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Team: NCC/MRRC Team 1

Comments:

This is my first full-time effort in the North American Grid Chase --
er, I mean QSO Party.  My previous efforts were in 2009 and 2010 when
I was building up my 160 meter station and chasing states on phone for
the Triple Play award.

Hal was right to say take all the off-times early.  I took 30 minutes
every couple of hours except the last one because the rates became
decent.  During the next-to-last off-time, I was listening to 10
meters and heard WD0T in South Dakota.  I got a bit ahead of myself
and worked him 7 minutes before the end of my 31 minute time out.  So
I marked the QSO 'unclaimed'.  I hope that doesn't break any rules.
Seems like one could almost skip the first 2 hours and just operate 10
hours straight.

W9RE moved me to 15 and 10, which worked.  So I moved K8RYU to 15
which worked but didn't hear him on 10.  I tried to move N8BJQ to 10,
but didn't hear him either.  Sorry for wasting you guys' time.

I need to fix my SO2R setup to work on the high bands.  The antenna
switching is there, but it needs to be a bit more flexible.  I really
like having a second tribander to feed to the sub-receiver in the main
radio.  I use diversity mode all the time.

I think I succeeded in making a bunch of SO2R QSOs without CQing on
top of the station I'm trying to work.  The auto-restart for the CQ
message is handy, but I think the same thing could be accomplished
slightly more cleanly if there was a single button to restart the CQ
on the other radio.  If only there was 'open source' software where
anyone could change something.

I heard several MRRCers on several bands, but only worked a few.
There wasn't much short skip today.  The nighttime noise wasn't very
bad but it was getting noisier towards the end.

Equipment: K3/100, P3, K3/10, Hardrock 50 (which gets to 70 watts),
homebrew SO2R stuff, 2 tribanders, full sized verticals for the low
bands, and some receiving antennas.