[3830] NAQP CW KN4NL(N2NL) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW KN4NL(N2NL) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2018 13:02:52 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: KN4NL
Operator(s): N2NL
Station: KN4NL

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Mobile, AL
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:  234   444
   20:  149    42
   15:   30    15
   10:
-------------------
Total:  413   101  Total Score = 41,713

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Team: Friends of Tom N4KG #2

Comments:

IC7610, 40m vertical

First time using KN4NL and was pleasantly surprised how few people had issues
copying the call the first time, despite both not being in SCP and also with
KN4KL QRV.  This was a very different experience as compared to my previous club
call, WH7AA (aka W5ZAA).  I figured I would use this call from my AL QTH to keep
a separate log from N2NL which I use from FL.

I was able to throw up a 40m vertical for this contest but have a lot of work to
go with radials, as well as something for 80/160.  After taking a direct
lightning strike to a stupid 30ft high dipole while at WRTC (15K worth of damage
and counting), I'm only putting up stuff that can be taken down quickly when I'm
not actually QRV, especially with my new job which has me often deployed.  I
know a horizontal antenna would work better for the high bands, but I've not yet
figured out how to do something that can be brought back to ground level in ~5
min or less given my back yard layout.  This is all on behalf of my wife and
kids who were home when we got hit and still gets nervous when a storm pops up.
I have access to "real" antennas via my remote in FL once we get that
station back on the air (currently QRT also due to lightning and accumulated
hurricane damage).  It will be fun to see what I can do from here, and to
experiment and see what works (and what doesn't).

Looking forward to the CWT's, NS's, etc from my new QTH.  I'm not expecting to
be at all competitive with anyone but myself, but it will surely be a lot of
fun.  At some point I need to try to add a 2nd radio but SO2V will have to do
for now.  I'm still loving the new IC7610.

Thanks for the Qs,
73, Dave N2NL/4