[3830] 222Up N6ZE/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6ze@aol.com
Subject: [3830] 222Up N6ZE/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2018 04:27:02 +0000
                    ARRL 222 MHz and Up Distance Contest

Call: N6ZE/R
Operator(s): N6ZE KM6MIN
Station: N6ZE/R

Class: Rover LP
QTH: DM04
Operating Time (hrs): 4.1

------------
  222:  15
  432:  17
  903:   4
  1.2:   5
  2.3:   0
  3.4:   0
  5.7:   0
  10G:   0
  24G:   0
------------
Total:  41  Total Score = 394,366

Club: ventura  county amateur radio society

Team:

Comments:

N6ZE/R roved from 3 locations, all within grid DM04. On Sunday morning, we
operated 3.3 hours from DM04qb at ~2300 ft in the Santa Monica Mts. Sunday
sports car drivers and motorcycle riders provided lots of deafening noise as the
made jack rabbit starts and screeched tires on sharp curves of the mountain
roads: much of the road QRM was heard by stations we worked! Weather was clear,
slightly hazy,& hot, with no wind. There was no enhanced propagation and
activity levels were not particularly high considering that I had heavily
advertised the event among local radio clubs, 2 ARRL Sections, and others. We
heard a couple of stations near Santa Ana make a few QSOs to the East, but we
never heard anyone working to the SFO Bay Area, or even San Diego! We worked
only Grids DM03, DM04,& DM13. Perhaps most VHF stalwarts were working 6
meter FT8 DX instead of participating in this event. I do know that some of the
Southern stations could hear the Hawaiian 2 meter/70 cm beacons though. Of note,
everyone we worked knew their 6 digit grid locator, even if they had no idea
that there was a contest. We almost shut down .5 hours before the end of the
contest, BUT we ended up making 20% of our QSOs in the last half hour! Brian,
KM6MIN, who had operated with me during the Spring '18 Two Meter SPRINT
accompanied me again today. He performed operating, logging, and got more
experience in this facet of the ham radio hobby. Brian has been licensed for
less than a year. Equipment: FT736, ALINCO GJ-G29 & yagis & verticals
for each band. Thanks to W9JJ & all for their work on this contest.