[3830] WAE CW K8CN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K8CN@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WAE CW K8CN Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2018 11:39:16 +0000
                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: K8CN
Operator(s): K8CN
Station: K8CN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 3

   80:
   40:  18    18     24
   20:  43    38     40
   15:
   10:
-------------------------
Total:  61    56     64  Total Score = 7,488

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I'm not sure how N1MM+ determined the number of mults to be greater than the
number of Qs on 40 meters, but I'm just reporting the summary data as they're
presented -- will review later.....

This was clearly only a cameo appearance in one of my favorite end-of-summer
contests.  My main purpose was to try out the 100 watt power amplifier (KPA100)
I recently built for my K2 and exercise the associated ATU (KAT100-2).  I made
only 6 or 7 contacts at the 100 watt level, then reverted to using my K3 at 10
watts since I'd already moved into LP category and did not have the logging
computer connected to the K2 (keeping track of QTCs manually was challenging,
and this unique feature of WAE DX CW is its allure!).  This contest represents
the first time I have entered in the LP category since beginning QRP-only
contesting in 2008.

I found propagation conditions tough on Saturday morning even with 100 watts.
Conditions were improved in the late afternoon Saturday (~ 2100 UTC) on 20
meters, and I definitely found contacts easier on 40 meters Saturday night. For
those Qs in which I was loud enough at 10 watts to be readily copied, the QTC
requests were a pleasure.  I salute the many fine EU ops who copied a 10-string
QTC series from me at 32-34 WPM without any fills - you are outstanding CW ops!

Many thanks for the Qs, few though they were, and hope to be back next year!

73,
Mike K8CN

Rig: K2 @ 100 W or K3 @ 10 W
Lazy H (cut for 20 meters, used on all bands via ATU)