[3830] CQ WW RTTY N9TF SOAB Classic LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n9tf@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY N9TF SOAB Classic LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2018 02:31:27 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: N9TF
Operator(s): N9TF
Station: N9TF

Class: SOAB LP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 22.5

   80:  139      44        4     5
   40:  142      35       24    12
   20:  238      19       56    16
   15:   45       0       22    10
   10:
------------------------------------
Total:  564      98      106    43  Total Score = 277,134

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

That was FUN!
Had to carefully pick my operating times this weekend, as we are preparing our
backyard for major new patio renovation. That meant having to tear up one full
ground rod run (four 8' ground rods and 32' of trenched #6 copper connecting
wire) along where new patio extension will be dug out. I was hoping to be able
to get in as close to full time in the Classic category as possible, while
taking out 1/4 of my lightning ground in the back yard! I had my best score in
mind from 2013 of 500 Qs and 242,890 score. That was the first year ever of
posting a score above 200k and 500 Q's. 16.9 hours of BIC time then.
Conditions this year were not as good as 2013 for DX as my DX count and zone
count were down, but my SP mult count was almost double that of 2013. Net gain
for total mults this year was +20 over 2013 with 64 more Q's(pending log
checking). BIC time to work 64 more Qs took an additional 5.6 hours, for a total
of 22.5 hours.
I struggled both early mornings to EU on 20m to make reasonable quick Q's. Had
to battle for those most times, until later in the morning early afternoon when
prop got stronger.
I put lots of time in the chair at night on 40 and 80, working anything I could.
Had some luck with a few runs on 80 both nights, but discovered my dual band
40/80 dipole has most likely stretched some as the resonate frequency on both
bands has shifted down. 80m is about 100khz below 3.5mhz now. So struggled with
a high SWR. I had to go to my manual MFJ Versa tuner II above 3.580. The
internal tuner on the K3S got a bit squirrelly above that frequency. So I had
the manual tuner set flat at 3.590, which gave me a reasonable SWR between
3.58Mhz and 3.60Mhz. I just had to remember to engage or disengage the internal
tuner as I moved around 80m!

Sure do hope log checking is kind to me :) I sure did send an awful lot of
repeats.

I'm hoping to get up the tower to adjust the 40/80 dipole before sweepstakes. I
may run another short 1/4 wave sloper wire for the 75 meter SSB for SS from the
top of the short tower to the SE corner of the back yard. I don't think I'm
going to have the short dipole playing very well for SSB SS.

Hopefully I'll have the ground system all back together again by then!

Here's hoping we gave PVRC a run for this time around...That was a good portion
of my BIC time motivation!!

Rig, K3S 100 watts/MMTTY/N1MM+ to 2 elements at 37' for 10/15/20, short 100'
40/80 dipole at 35 apex sloping down at both ends.

73 Gene
N9TF

GO SMC!