[3830] CaQP N6GEO SOCntyExp LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CaQP N6GEO SOCntyExp LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 05:35:03 +0000
                    California QSO Party

Call: N6GEO
Operator(s): N6GEO
Station: N6GEO

Class: SOCntyExp LP
QTH: Alpine Co
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:   29     33
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
--------------------
Total:   29     33  Mults = 47  Total Score = 3,828

Club: Mother Lode DX/Contest Club

Comments:

Had a crew volunteer to help work on my new house on Saturday. So I got up early
on Sunday and threw together an expedition to Alpine Co. Drove from Twain Harte
up 108 about 54 miles to the Sonora Pass Trailhead, on the southern edge of
Alpine Co. Original goal was up Clarks Fork Road, but the Donnell fire damage
has all the roads closed for about 15 miles along 108 starting at the
Dardenelles.
Rig Yeasu FT857 into a SuperAntennas YP2 yagi tuned to 20M at 20 ft.
Temperatures at top of pass were 45F with constant 20-30 mph winds that made for
a cold time erecting antennas. Only got about 2.5 hours operating time due to
poor planning and shaking out problems. For example, I brought a 500watt amp
only to find that I had the wrong keying cable, so I ran low power. I also
struggled with my WinKeyer for 30mins before I realized I had it plugged in the
PTT jack! I dropped the old Nye Viking paddle and broke off the DIT paddle,
having to operate the contest with a shard. Set up N1MM for WinKey but was
forced to use the internal keyed memories because I forgot the USB cable. Thus
the numbers didn't correctly increment. (sigh) Still, the Sierras at 9000ft
remain magnificent and I caught a few exhilarating moments of runs, the last
which continued to the final bell. Hope I made a difference for a few folks who
wanted a sweep.