[3830] TBDC K1LT Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC K1LT Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 17:20:28 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Pre-Stew

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

Total:  QSOs = 369  Total Score = 1,465

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

This running of the Stew Perry Top Band Distance Challenge, Warmup
Episode was a challenge on several fronts.  First, as I have been
distracted by work, Mom issues, and grid chases, antenna maintenance
has fallen behind.  Second, while attempting to catch up, a family pet
crisis emerged and a trip to the animal ER became a necessary
interruption.  Finally, my soccer mom functions have not been
completed and I had to take time to deliver the child to her marching
band competition.

Despite some interruptions and forgetfulness (not all of the settings
to put Writelog in SO2V mode are in the settings menu) I had a working
station by 2140Z.  The 160 meter band was very quiet but the weather
was not.  Several times during the first half corona static rose up.
Then the wind would howl and the rain would pelt.  While the static
was high I switched to search and pounce mode.  In a few minutes,
everything would go back to normal and I could run again.  Also I
would periodically check on the ailing pet.

Despite the interruptions rates were better than last year's static
wipeout.  Europeans called in from time to time with surprisingly
copiable signals.  Also northern European signals were much better
than normal.  LY4A was consistently audible from about 2330Z until
after his sunrise.  The longer distance contacts seemed to be louder
than the more routine western Europeans.  TM6M was amazingly difficult
to hear.  Maybe he was QRP.

I ran 500 watts for the first few hours then bumped up the power to
750 watts when some DX contact had trouble.  For the first time ever,
the blower from beyond the noise horizon didn't yell at me.  Maybe it
is broken.

The AC power glitched a couple of times causing the remote antenna
switching to reset.  These events revealed that the amplifier high SWR
fault circuit no longer works.  So much for the vaunted Alpha
reliability.

I slept from about 0625Z until about 1045Z.  Some year when there
aren't any emergencies and maintenance is up-to-date, maybe I'll stay
up an see what I am missing.

Worked 45 DX stations which might be a record for me in this edition
of the TBDC.  Heard no stations west of CN88 and heard no stations
south of FK77.  Best DX was a 17-point tie between YR100R and UX1UA
who both had surprisingly copiable signals.

DX worked: DL (7), EA6, EU, F (6), G (5), GD, HA, I (5), KV4 (2), KP4,
LY, OH (2), OH0, OK (2), OZ, PA, SM (4), UA, UR, and YR.

Equipment: Elecraft K3/100, P3, Alpha 8410 in QRP mode; 2 arrays of
short verticals, computer and SDR software; Elecraft K3/10 for RX
while transmitting; 65-foot "tee" antenna with very droopy top-hat
wires over 75 120-foot radials (some no longer connected); audio
routing stuff.