[3830] IlQP N0I(N0AC) Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IlQP N0I(N0AC) Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 12:22:55 +0000
                    Illinois QSO Party

Call: N0I
Operator(s): N0AC
Station: N0AC/M

Class: Rover LP
QTH: Il
Operating Time (hrs): 8

  160:
   80:    158
   40:    734
   20:     45
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
------------------------
Total:    937       0  Mults = 80  Total Score = 149,920

Club: Iowa DX and Contest Club

Comments:

****CHECKLOG****

Many thanks to the sponsors for a well done QSO party and most importantly thank
you to all the stations that got on the air and contacted the many active
Illinois stations including N0I/m.

N0AC and XYL the Tourists

The goal for the weekend was to do some sightseeing in the St. Charles/St. Louis
area and operate the QSO party. My wife and driver and I arrived Friday
afternoon and after a brief visit with the St. Charles chamber of commerce folks
we checked into our motel. One of the things we did differently for this trip
was to start and return to the same motel, which worked out to our liking. We
spent most of Saturday in old downtown St. Charles enjoying the “Legends and
Lanterns” festival. The highlight of the day was the guided tour of Daniel
Boone house in St. Charles County, Mo.

N0I the Contester

With the noon starting time there was no pressure to get ready and staged. We
had traveled with the mobile station disassembled so I re-installed the station
in the truck while at the motel. The Sunday drive through St. Louis was easy and
we arrived at the Monroe/St. Clair county line ahead of the starting time. I had
a brief QSO with OM2VL on 20m and a domestic contact on 40m with good reports so
I was hopeful of conditions. In the past we have not run county lines so this
was going to be a first for us. The plan was to spend 15 minutes on each county
line before moving on. Things seemed to start off slow on 40m and a QSY to 20m
didn’t help the rates. I always tried to spend time on 40m and 20m at each
county line and county but favored 40m because of the rate. As the day
progressed the rates pick up but 40m was still king. About 5pm local I stopped
and changed the matching coil on my left screwdriver antenna for 80m. This stop
in a farm lane brought out Mr. Farmer to investigate the suspicious looking
vehicle but he eventually was satisfied with our ham radio explanation. As
darkness approach 80m became productive and I spent the last two hours between
40m and 80m. We think we operated from all of our intended counties.

We had a lot of followers: W9AIU (28), K9BGL (24), K1RO (21), KD0ZV (18), K9OM
(17), W8PI (17), KE0TT (16), K0AP (15), WW0Z (15) and many more with multiple
QSOs.

The most notable QSOs were with some of my ham friends back home, KD0ZV, WW0Z,
W0FLS and N5PHT. They always put a smile on my face when they called in.

Bill, N0AC aka N0I