[3830] CQWW SSB P40W(W2GD) SO(A)AB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB P40W(W2GD) SO(A)AB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 13:34:34 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: P40W
Operator(s): W2GD
Station: P40W

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: Aruba
Operating Time (hrs): 36

  160:   38     6       19
   80:  247    15       58
   40:  700    25       82
   20:  900    24       88
   15:  802    26       78
   10:  155    10       18
------------------------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Station:  K3S, Win-Test Software.
Antennas: 160 Vert. Dipole, 80M 3el Wire Beam EU, 160/80 Inv.V, F12 40M Delta
240 + 4 el Wire Beam EU, F12 C31XR, F12 C4, Beverages EU, USA. N/S, E/W

Enjoyed preparing the station for battle.  The long delayed project to repair
the two element 40M beam (replaced the REF that had fallen off, done without
assistance) was successful in just six hours of tower time.  With all the rain
here the past 3 weeks in the ABC Islands it was fun observing the beautiful
green landscape from up above.  And very fortunately after the first day the
rain did not return.

Propagation was much better from Aruba Day 1 compared to Day 2.  Always
surprising that even with zero sunspots during the week leading up to the
contest there were significant and surprising worldwide openings on 15 and 10
meters.  But it was painfully clear you needed to have an amplifier to
capitalize under these low signal level conditions. Only the strong willed,
stubborn, or crazy operated LP or QRP seriously this weekend.   A persistent
local neighborhood noise source made beaming the US/JA/VK for me quite painful
(but I'm the path to EU was quiet). Absorption returned to 160/80/40 this
weekend after several days of very good to excellent low band conditions earlier
in the week (many enjoyed chasing VP6D). Thankfully the bottom of this cycle is
now within sight.

As always greatly enjoyed socializing during the week with locals P43A, P43C,
P43L and repeat island visitors P40T (VE3DZ) and P40L (W6LD).  We are a small
country but perhaps produce more QSOs per SO station than any other.

Thanks everyone for the QSOs!

Looking forward to my return to Aruba three weeks from now for CQWW CW - the BIG
ONE!

73,
John, W2GD

My