[3830] CQWW SSB WX3B M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wx3b@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB WX3B M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 21:45:25 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B W3MMM N8IVN WA3AER NE3K K3WI NH7C KK4ODQ ND3D
Station: WX3B

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Maryland
Operating Time (hrs): 46

  160:   85     8       12
   80:  216    21       68
   40:  623    30       94
   20: 1138    31      112
   15:  720    27      108
   10:  112    10       24
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

2018 CQWW SSB Soapbox

What a fantastic way to spend a rainy weekend, INDOORS with great friends and
great radios!  It consistently impresses me how contests seem to make their own
propagation.  All week 15 meters was open, and we collectively held our
breath…would it be open during the contest?  The answer was a resounding YES!!

We all enjoyed the relatively good band conditions for this point in the sunspot
cycle, however our night-time team had dismal conditions on Saturday night.

This year, the WX3B operating team included:
WX3B W3MMM N8IVN NE3K K3WI NH7C WA3AER KK4ODQ and ND3D

20 meters sounded good to Europe and Japan, 15 had its moments to include a good
EU run; 40 opened early this year (that always surprises me hearing EUs after
high noon), and 80 had a fair share of nice signals.

This was the first major multi-operator/multi-transmitter contest I was able to
test the new Icom IC-7610’s supplied by Ray Novak on loan from Icom.  I was
impressed!  The radio user interface is intuitive, and the W3NQN band-pass
filters kept the Software Defined Radio (SDR) receiver very happy.   By the end
of the contest, several students had graduated from the class of using both
receivers and split frequency tactics to pounce while running – without losing
their run frequency.

I was surprised by the number of easy loud Caribbean stations on 160 that did
not hear us this year.   The feed line to that antenna is about 18 years old,
therefore I may replace it just for good measure!

The short receive beverages worked quite well!

I want to thank Dennis N8IVN and Sid NH7C for being my station managers when I
was off campus, which was a significant part of Saturday and Sunday.  I also
want to than Ray Novak of Icom for lending us the IC-7610’s and letting us use
them!

This year, one of my off campus trips was to the Eldersburg (Carroll County)
public library STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Math) festival events on
Saturday mid-day.  We actually set up an HF station there on 20 meters (and
several other stations) to show folks of all ages Amateur Radio.  The fact that
it happened to be during CQWW SSB was a big PLUS!

My congratulations to our competition at K1TTT – we had high hopes of
overtaking you on Saturday afternoon and Sunday, however we watched you pull
farther and farther ahead.  Fortunately, there is WPX SSB in March – our
chance for a re-match!!  Congratulations on your well-deserved win.

I am looking forward to the remainder of the contest season!

73,

Jim Nitzberg   WX3B