[3830] SS CW N3BB Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW N3BB Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2018 12:57:02 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N3BB
Operator(s): N3BB
Station: N3BB

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 23
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:   88
   40:  533
   20:  558
   15:   46
   10:    0
------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Wow!

I had forgotten what a total and complete grind the SS is, and of course
watching the mult sheet fill out (or not) and that list of "white"
mults shrink until, in my case, VI and PR just kept on keeping on ...  that is
until NP3X totally surprised with a weak but solid call and info exchange late
on 20 meters. I had heard a VI once, very briefly on 15, and called lots of CQs
pointed to that area, but nil. So having him call during a grinding 20 meter
period was fantastic. No PR heard at all, but got every other (than VI) at least
twice and several rare ones three times.

At this time, I'll sit on the proverbial contester's couch with the great
psychiatrist in the ether and confess that the 23 hours was unplanned, and
probably the single biggest contest error I've ever made. I had decided to take
off the full six hours off-time in one "swath," and then go straight
through on Sunday, with a few little ten minute QRXes to check on my wife. All
in all, that strategy worked great, and my total non-operating time on Sunday
probably, w/out scanning the log, was about 45 or 50 minutes total. But for some
reason, and this makes absolutely no sense, I felt the contest was over at 0200
and stopped. I said that makes no sense, but I just turned off the gear and came
to the main house from the radio shack. A half hour or so later, the math of
thirty hours minus six seemed not to make sense in my brain, and I went back to
station and lo and behold, the contest still was in full roar and fury! At that
time, there was only  twenty or so minutes left, and I slunk back to the house.
It is what is is, and it ain't what it ain't.

The rates the last hour were pitifully "grind-y" but worth 25 or 30 an
hour, so if I'm still on the Shrink's couch, maybe that would have been worth
another few contacts and 4K points, but it really doesn't matter too much. Just
to be battling it out with the sort of guys in this field was an honor. The
early posters, not including N2IC and maybe other major suspects, is amazing, so
just being in that group is good. But this contest is really a challenge for the
mind and body (and butt), and at age 76 and a half, neither is getting younger
for sure. I hit it very hard and the station's custom SO2R automation setup
(thanks N3RD and W2VJN) with the K3s (thanks KZ5D for the help) all worked
great.

Congratulations to all who met their personal goals, and thanks to all for the
great challenge and some fun along the way.

Jim N3BB