[3830] SS CW AA9A(KB9OWD) SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ryantiff@charter.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW AA9A(KB9OWD) SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2018 19:28:10 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: AA9A
Operator(s): KB9OWD
Station: AA9A

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:  406
   40:  374
   20:  171
   15:   52
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

This was my first serious single op effort in a long time.  Work commitments and
a family tend to do that.  A few years back, Tom had offered the use of his
station and for whatever reason it did not work out with timing.  Efforts after
that have proved the same for me.  This weekend I had some time free and reached
out to Tom again a few weeks back.  Things fell in to place and Tom welcomed me
to use the station and put forward a serious effort.

With the current band conditions, I decided to do high power and go unlimited.
My goal was to try and hold pace with K9CT and take a stab at the central
division while also aiming at the Wisconsin record of about 185K.  Conditions
would not warrant such a score from here this weekend although I thought things
were about as good as could be expected for this point in the cycle.  We had
ALOT of rain on Sunday and the rain static was noticeable as the day went on.
K9CT pulled out to an early lead and outpaced me each hour early on.  I think we
held about even on Sunday however one never really makes up for that lost ground
in SS.  Craig did an outstanding job with a great score!!

I had a hard time getting much momentum out of the gate however things seemed to
pick up on Saturday evening with the move to 40 and 80.  80 was low noise
Saturday evening with some good rates.  I shot straight through to 1:30 A.M.
(after the time change) and took four hours off needing only KP2 when my head
hit the pillow.  They would be found late Sunday to complete the sweep with
about an hour to go!

Sunday was a typical SS Sunday from here.  A grind of about 35 to 40 an hour
with many empty CQ.  I kept track of the Sunday NFL action to pass the time
along with hunting for stations to work.  The station is SO1R so tried to keep
filling stations in the 2nd VFO which worked rather well.

Tom's station worked flawlessly all weekend with no visits from Murphy.  Above
the performance of the station was that of my hosts.  Tom and his wife made me
feel at home with top quality home cooked meals and opening their doors to me.
Their hospitality was second to none and made for a most enjoyable contest
weekend.  I believe this is my first time over the 1,000 QSO mark in CW
Sweepstakes!!!

Great to hear so many 49's in the check.  The loss of W0AIH has left me, like
many, in shock and deeply saddened.  I thought of him and the many past
operations at his QTH often over the weekend.  It was great to hear so many
paying tribute.  I did my best to end with "GO AIH" in the TU message
after each QSO that had 49 for the check.

Thanks for all of the QSOs.  Have a Happy Thanksgiving and see you all in a few
weeks from K9CT for CQWW CW.

73,

Ryan KB9OWD