[3830] SS CW W4AAA(KK9A) SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, john@w4aaa.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW W4AAA(KK9A) SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2018 04:57:54 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W4AAA
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: W4AAA

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: North Carolina
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:  345
   40:  450
   20:  126
   15:   12
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

I had not used my station since the January ARRL RTTY Roundup so I had to clean
the spider webs off of the Elecraft K3S on Saturday morning. I then installed a
couple of temporary Beverage antennas and I labeled my K-Pod’s program buttons
which made it easy to change to a particular band instead of using the radio’s
up/down button. There were no sunspots but the conditions were reasonably good
for a domestic contest and I worked 70 5-watt Q stations, most were pretty easy
to copy. I had a good start making approximately a contact a minute for the
first nine hours but then rates slowed dramatically and stayed slow or slower
for the remainder of the weekend. On Sunday I turned on the spotting network to
search for the few remaining sections that I needed hoping to get a sweep. The
last one that I worked was VI when NP3X suddenly appeared with less than 6 hours
left. He was a great op and easy to put in the log using my stacked 15m
monobanders. Unfortunately I missed one multiplier - NNY. It appears that I
searched the spots too late, there was a NNY station pretty active on the low
bands during the first night but he never called me and I did little searching
and pouncing then. I did hear him on 15m on Sunday but I did not have favorable
propagation. I am not sure why northern New York is semi-rare in SS CW. My
station worked perfectly, I just need a little more CW skills to break the 1000
QSO barrier however it was fun trying. I worked 30 stations sending a check 49,
what a nice tribute to W0AIH who became a silent key while getting his station
ready for this event. Thank you for the QSOs! Please QSL via WD9DZV.

73,
John KK9A - W4AAA
http://www.w4aaa.com