[3830] WAE RTTY W4PK Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4pk@w4pk.com
Subject: [3830] WAE RTTY W4PK Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 16:43:24 +0000
                    WAE DX Contest, RTTY

Call: W4PK
Operator(s): W4PK
Station: W4PK

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 12:40
Radios: SO2R

   80:  159  159    30   108
   40:  252  252   230   168
   20:   36   36    64    52
   15:   15   15    65    14
   10:
------------------------------
Total:  462  462   389   342  Total Score = 291,042

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Friday night I quickly discovered a problem with high SWR on my 80M antenna and
that a relay would occasionally "chatter" on my home-made SO2R control
equipment (66 ICs and 19 DIP relays on three boards).  On Saturday I fixed my
80M antenna and fixed one problem with the SO2R equipment but I never found what
caused the source of the chatter.  It only would occur for 3-5 seconds every
couple of hours or so, and I spent a lot of time looking for the cause rather
than operating.

I had more of a problem with sending QTCs.  I use N1MM+ and if I had recently
logged a contact (non NA) on the opposite radio AND then received a request for
(or asked for) QTCs on the current radio then it would send them on the opposite
radio. The current radio had focus, but when I did the CTRL-Z thing it would
come up with the last call (again non-NA) I had logged on the opposite radio and
of course it would transmit QTCs on that radio.   In a couple of cases I  forced
the QTCs to be sent on the current radio by manually selecting that radio (via
hardware) but this meant that the wrong call was logged with the QTCs being
sent.

Also, I would occasionally experience problems with sending only the QTC headers
but not the messages and I had to terminate it by canceling the QTC box (and
sometimes hitting the ESC key to stop the transmitter).  And once I had my
transmitter lock up and I had to exit and restart the program!

I had no problem with receiving QTCs or in sending them if I had logged a NA
station on the opposite radio.  My apologies to all whom I had messed up with my
(not) being able to send QTCs properly!

Conditions were so-so, I only worked one JA on 40M but I never heard any other
stations from Asia on either 40 or 20M.

Other than that I enjoyed the contest and thanks for all the contacts!  And I
worked a lot of the PVRC members, GO PVRC!

73, Sam W4PK