[3830] SS SSB KE8IVY(@K8MR) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ke8ivy@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB KE8IVY(@K8MR) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 03:19:13 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: KE8IVY
Operator(s): KE8IVY
Station: K8MR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Ohio
Operating Time (hrs): 3

------------
  160:
   80:   34
   40:   64
   20:   41
   15:
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

I invited Ryan, KE8IVY, over to my QTH to have some Sunday afternoon fun from a
station a notch or two up from his own barefoot/low dipole station at home. A
real CK18 (first licensed in February and now an Extra class), Ryan got into the
swing of things very well, running some good rates CQing, and discovering first
hand that there are jerks out there who like to deliberately QRM people, thereby
ruining a good 40 meter pileup.

I think letting him operate from a good station with his own call with some
minimal supervision gave him a much better experience than the more typical
"invite a new guy over to take part in a multi", where the new guy
tends to get stuck on slow bands after the easy QSOs and high initial rates have
passed. And 139 people got QSOs they well might have never had.

Meanwhile, you'll likely never hear KE8IVY again. Ryan has applied for a new 1x2
call, which ought to be here by the end of the week.

73  de Jim  K8MR