[3830] SS SSB NC1I(K9PW) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pete73w@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB NC1I(K9PW) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 21:07:12 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: NC1I
Operator(s): K9PW
Station: NC1I

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WMA
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  316
   40:  802
   20:  483
   15:    9
   10:    0
------------

Club:

Comments:

Thanks again to Frank for letting me operate.  A special thanks goes to Bob
(W1QA) who does a significant amount of the behind the scenes work at the
station.  He really saved me this time.  Transmit audio stopped working just 10
minutes before the start.  He dropped what he was doing & helped me debug a
messed up USB port.  Ended up starting 45 minutes late, but at least I was on!

The goal for me in SS from New England is to finish in the top 10.  Missed out
again last year due to a slow start on Saturday with under 800 Q’s before
taking my night time break.  Normal for me is just under 1000 at that point.
But this year was even worse.  Only 647 contacts.  And around 20 high power
stations that I had worked were ahead of me.  And still needed 7 mults when
going to bed.  But, 75 meters was interesting.  VY0, VO1, and KL7 (also the last
one needed for 5 band worked all states) had called me on 75 meters.

Sunday on SS has always been my favorite.  It is when you need to work hard to
get the weak ones in the log, really try to use that second radio and make smart
decisions.  Not sure why anyone would want to change the rules to mess up
Sunday.  Was really motivated this time.  It was certainly my best Sunday ever.
Put almost 1000 Q’s in the log.  Got lucky finding a good frequency when going
to 20m late morning.  Worked far more Pacific Northwest stations than normal.
Typically, they’re weak cuz they are double hop.  Decent signals this time.
Ohio stations were also strong (unusual as they are normally much too close to
work on 20m).  So, perhaps I had an E hop plus an F hop?  It certainly helped,
whatever the reason.