[3830] CQWW CW W7RH SOSB160 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W7RH SOSB160 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 01:21:01 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W7RH
Operator(s): W7RH
Station: W7RH

Class: SOSB160 LP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 9

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------
Total:  62     15       31  Total Score = 7,342

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Greetings,

In Spring and Summer 2018 some long needed station work was done on the remote
antenna system. The array control box was replaced and tuning of all the
vertical elements in the array were checked and adjusted if necessary. The net
result considering the vertical element height, the performance has been
improved greatly. The station receive capability is optimum and is a perfect
match for low power mode. Most of the stations called were worked and in the log
in this primarily S&P operation.

This was a very part time operation due to family commitments.I missed hours of
prime time operation in some of the best conditions at my QTH in years.

I came within strike distance of my previous high scores with minimal effort. I
believe that if operation had been full time there would have been easily a new
Zone 3 record if not done by others. Such is life. All I needed was just a few
very easy multipliers and a few more JA QSO's to break my previous scores. The
band was open Friday to Europe from before local sunset, and a few EU were heard
in the morning hours at sunrise.

In the few hours that I was operating I created a list of over two pages of call
signs and frequencies of stations heard and called but not worked due to
existing conditions. Here in the Western US we have a huge operating
disadvantage to the high multiplier EU regions. Most of the time we are probably
more than 15-20 dB below the Eastern US, Caribbean and EU locals.
Because I thought I was not competitive I did not try to get up early and work
west to Asia as usual. This was a big mistake. I did however get in an hour or
so both mornings. I just wish the BY stations would turn off the amplifiers so
we would not waste time calling them. They need to spend time and effort on
being able to hear weak stations more than 3-5K miles away!

Saturday night did not appear to be as good as Friday. Signals were weaker but a
few new ones were worked. Sunday morning I began operating one hour before
sunrise. Conditions were fair but not great. The band was not crowded and I put
several JA in log with a HL and UA0.

Although my timing was not good for this test it was very enjoyable to hear so
many stations on the band. Something that has not been heard for a while.

Here is to the rest of the 160m season!

73, Bob W7RH

Station: Personal Remote in Northern Arizona operational since 2006
Antenna 5 el of short electrical height verticals arranged for End fire and
broadside end-fire configuration. NE, E, SE, SW, W, NW and OMNI. Approximate ERP
in the 600-700W range dependent upon direction. No separate RX antennas are
used. All operation is on TX array.

The station is literally in middle of nowhere about 40 miles S of Grand Canyon.
With no commercial power. This is a solar powered battery operation.

All RX and TX on TX array
Rig Kenwood TS480