[3830] CQWW CW ZM4T(@ZL3IO) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW ZM4T(@ZL3IO) M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 04:47:31 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: ZM4T
Operator(s): DL1MGB ZL2IFB ZL2MY ZL3CW ZL3IO ZL3TE ZL4YL
Station: ZL3IO

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Kiwi-DX-Lodge
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   65    11       10
   80:  664    30       73
   40: 1789    33      110
   20: 1512    33      104
   15: 1313    25       58
   10:  100    10       18
------------------------------

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

Chris, DL1MGB (Chairman of WRTC2018 in Germany) & wife Anja are travelling
Australia /New Zealand and timed the trip well to arrive at the Kiwi-DX-Lodge in
time for the CQWW CQ contest. Wes, ZL3TE & Jacky, ZL3CW were also keen to
join and together with us "locals" (ZL2iFB/2MY/3IO/4YL) we had a big
team for a relaxed M/2 operation together. We spend the weekend in the clouds
since it was raining all time. Birgit, ZL2YL cooked and kept us all well feed. I
doubt anyone lost weight over the weekend.

The result is actually better than my expectation was. The high band conditions
(10/15) m were down from a few weeks earlier. We had very deep QSB on both bands
and stations would disappear before we could finish the report. EU did never
open via SP on 15 m in our evenings like the week before. The VK's were running
EU but the extra hop we need did not happen and left us out of the show.

Luckily the low bands were compensating a little bit and we ended up only 250
Q's and a few multipliers short from last year. May the excessive amount of
radials installed starts to pay off.

Day one was much better than day two and while we were still ahead of KH6J &
KH6LC after day one things went very slow during day two while they managed to
run and pass us. Being two hops closer to North America and one hop closer to
Asia surely helps. Nevertheless it was good fun to watch the online scoreboards.

The new 160m vertical came first time into play and we hopefully could make a
few people happy. From the 65 QSO's on 160 m only eight were within 10,000 km
radius!

Also 80 m was playing very well. Low band conditions seem to be fine but we
struggled to read calls due to the static crashes we had on those bands. Thanks
everyone for the patience and also thanks to the other stations for standing by
and letting us finish QSO's. We had the impression that the behavior is getting
better.

40m is usually our money band and confirmed this again this weekend even so we
lost the top (or main) beam due to a contact issue. All QSO's during day two
were done on the lower (only 10m high) secondary beam.

We find it still amazing that we work more EU's on (80/40/20) m than any other
continent even so Europe is 16-20 thousand km from here.

Thanks to everyone for the QSO's! We had a great time and hope to see you soon
in one of the next contests.

73 Holger, ZL3IO for the whole ZM4T team

----------------- C o n t i n e n t   S u m m a r y -----------------
                 160     80     40     20     15     10  Total    Pct
North America     38    210    704    478    939     11   2380   43.7
South America      0      7     21     23     12      3     66    1.2
Europe             0    221    710    504     16      0   1451   26.7
Asia              19    198    297    456    310     73   1353   24.9
Africa             0      6      9     10      3      0     28    0.5
Oceania            8     22     47     40     33     13    163    3.0
???                0      0      1      1      0      0      2    0.0
Total             65    664   1789   1512   1313    100   5443

Rig: 2 x K3 plus 1 kW
Ant:
160: vertical
80: 4 square