[3830] CQWW CW W3EP SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w3ep@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W3EP SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 15:40:58 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W3EP
Operator(s): W3EP
Station: W3EP

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs): 31

  160:
   80:   99    16       51
   40:  327    28       98
   20:  459    31      103
   15:  164    21       57
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Great contest. Here is a bit of antenna chatter.
80M: Inverted-vee dipole with apex at 50 feet: Not good enough for running, but
S&P for an hour or so each evening for the multipliers.
40M: Put up a new full-size GP with a single elevated radial (so far), which
seemed to work quite well. Most signals averaged an S-unit or two stronger than
on the inverted-vee. That opened a whole new layer of DX and low-power stations
and made a significant difference in QSOs and multipliers.
20M: The 3-element Yagi was at 50 feet still working fine, but the directional
indicator for the rotator has been dead for some time. Had to get up to look out
the window to see which way the antenna was pointed whenever I turned it. This
did not work well at night! A bit of a nuisance, but it did get me out of the
chair from time to time.
15M: Similar problem: I could not safely turn the 4-element Yagi south of 40
degrees or so without the rotator getting stuck. This was a new problem, sigh.
Murphy seems to know just when to strike! His meddling meant I was not able to
beam directly on Europe and the QSO and multiplier rate suffered as a result. So
I spent more time on 20M.
Much of the time, the lower 100 kHz of 20M and 40M (at least) were entirely
jammed with stations, making it difficult to find a spot to CQ. Good to hear the
activity and especially the  DX stations in Africa, Asia and the Pacific region.
 Despite the rotator problems, had a good deal of fun.
--W3EP, Connecticut